Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 'My family is turning feral under my very eyes'... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    LOL!!!!!!!!!! :D

Subdivisions (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-18-10 01:45 PM
    Original message 'My family is turning feral under my very eyes'...

Soviet Union collapse author Dmitry Orlov, translates "a letter sent in by one young, once optimistic Russian who finds himself marooned in some blighted Boston exurb in southern New Hampshire".

Dear Dmitry,

I hope you don't mind that this is in Russian. I think that this way I can be more completely honest. I am a relatively recent graduate of one of the many faceless post-Soviet institutions of higher learning, with a degree in philosophy. Last year I moved to the USA and married an American woman.

The question of when the modern capitalist system is going to collapse has interested me since my student years, and I have approached it from various directions: from the commonplace conspiracy theories to the serious works of Oswald Spengler and Noam Chomsky. Unfortunately, I still can't fathom what it is that is keeping this system going.

My wife is a very pleasant woman, but a typical white conservative American. Whenever any political question comes up, she starts ranting about the Constitution and calling herself a libertarian conservative and a constitutionalist. I used to think that she is well-educated and understands what she is talking about. In fact, she is the one who introduced me to the US, and I once believed everything she told me about it. But as I found out later, she understands nothing about politics, and just repeats various bits of populist nonsense spouted by Severin, O'Reilly, Limbaugh and other mass media clowns. Well, I am not going to try to prove to my wife that she is wrong on a subject that I don't quite understand myself. After all, she is a good wife. And so I try to steer clear of any political questions when I am with the family, although I do not always succeed.

...snip...

Unfortunately, I feel the pernicious influence of all this on my own family right here and now. You don't have to be a brilliant visionary to realize that in the current situation all these endless suburbs, built on the North American model, are slowly but surely turning into mass graves for the millions of former members of the middle class. Those that do not turn into mass graves will become nature preserves - stocked with wild animals that were once human. My family is turning feral under my very eyes. Lack of resources has forced us to live according to the Soviet model - three generations under one roof. There are six of us, of which only one works, who is, consequently, exasperated and embittered. The rest of the household is gradually going insane from idleness and boredom. The television is never turned off. The female side of the family has been sucked into social networks and associated toys. Everyone is cultivating their own special psychosis, and periodically turns vicious. In these suburbs, a person without a car is as if without legs, and joblessness does not allow any of us to earn money for gas, and so the house is almost completely isolated from the outside world. The only information that seeps in comes from the lying mass media. And I understand that millions of families throughout America live this way! This is how people turn into "teabaggers," while their children join street gangs.

...snip...

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2010/03/corn-madness.html

Anyone seeing this sort of situation in your community?

Classic DU. Someone knocks the USA, DUmmies love it.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Sounds like they would have a much better life back in Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    That was my take too.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Same here; Moonbats are waiting for Stalin and Mao to rise from the grave and save their souls
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

You know, nothing is keeping these people from moving to Russia or Cuba or China.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Sonnabend
    ou know, nothing is keeping these people from moving to Russia or Cuba or China.
    Aside from the fact they dont want them either?

I don't buy it. This letter is clearly a fake.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    And why would that matter??

DUmmies have made it clear they're all for lying if it advances whatever agenda they are pushing.

It would be fun to take a bunch of these jokers and drop them into Cuba or Russia. They'd be crying for their mommy so fast...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I would tend to agree...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

He marries some woman he evidently barely knows and then attempts to analyze her political thinking in light of post-modern, post-Soviet philosophical models. Although he managed to come to a country with enormous opportunity, he completely failed to get any kind of job at all. Apparently the rest of the family (except one) is equally unemployable. Luckily, the welfare state is keeping the lights on and paying for that all important social networking time. Sadly, his Internet connection apparently fails to allow "real news" into the home. His TV does not have an "off" control. The weakness in his legs makes walking to the bus stop too much of a trial.