Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Christian Philosopher Explores Causes of Atheism 
    I found this article interesting...

"Atheism is not the result of objective assessment of evidence, but of stubborn disobedience; it does not arise from the careful application of reason but from willful rebellion. Atheism is the suppression of truth by wickedness, the cognitive consequence of immorality.

"In short, it is sin that is the mother or unbelief."

God has made His existence plain from creation – from the unimaginable vastness of the universe to the complex micro-universe of individual cells, Spiegel notes. Human consciousness, moral truths, miraculous occurrences and fulfilled biblical prophecies are also evidence of the reality of God.

But atheists reject that, or as Spiegel put it, "miss the divine import of any one of these aspects of God's creation" and to do so is "to flout reason itself."

This suggests that other factors give rise to the denial of God, he notes. In other words, something other than the quest for truth drives the atheist.

Drawing from Scripture, Spiegel says the atheist's problem is rebellion against the plain truth of God, as clearly revealed in nature. The rebellion is prompted by immorality, and immoral behavior or sin corrupts cognition.

The author explained to EPS, "There is a phenomenon that I call 'paradigm-induced blindness,' where a person's false worldview prevents them from seeing truths which would otherwise be obvious. Additionally, a person's sinful indulgences have a way of deadening their natural awareness of God or, as John Calvin calls it, the sensus divinitatis. And the more this innate sense of the divine is squelched, the more resistant a person will be to evidence for God."
    The story can be found here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I find that sort of philosophy to be terrible. It falls into the same trap as every other like it, including the trap of the atheist ideology.

Also anyone interested in Christian philosophers should check out Paul Tillich

http://www.escapefromwatchtower.com/tilground.html

That book is one of my favorites ever.

The author poses the hypothesis that atheism is closely connected to father abandonment or some other father dysfunction. What then explains the inordinately high number of blacks who are Christian? And their near total absence from the ranks of those who call themselves atheist?

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    The author poses the hypothesis that atheism is closely connected to father abandonment or some other father dysfunction. What then explains the inordinately high number of blacks who are Christian? And their near total absence from the ranks of those who call themselves atheist?
    It is a logical fallacy to make the assumption you are making. The theory is that much of atheism is created from a poor to non existent father relationship. The absence of a father does not insure that all will be atheist. Some might have the opposite reaction.

Now ask your self this, if one professes to believe in God yet lives like there is no God, is not that person in reality a practical atheist? If a black man or any man for that matter claims to be a Christian yet fathers kids out of wedlock, sleeps with multiple women, sells, uses drugs and commits crimes is he really a Christian?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I find that sort of philosophy to be terrible. It falls into the same trap as every other like it, including the trap of the atheist ideology.

Also anyone interested in Christian philosophers should check out Paul Tillich

http://www.escapefromwatchtower.com/tilground.html

That book is one of my favorites ever.
    I haven't read as much of him as I should have but I will pick up that book. From what I know he seems to have an existential Christian Philosophy and I personally do not accept some of the principles of existentialism.

My focus lately as been reading A.W. Tozer and listening to his sermons. I find his view on the type of relationship man needs to have with God fascinating.

C. S. Lewis

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Finitum Non Capax Infinitum......by fivebarleyloavestwofish

John Calvin insisted on the real presence of Christ in the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. In dealing with those who reduced the sacrament to a mere symbol (a naked sign), Calvin insisted on the “substantial” presence of Christ. When dealing with Lutherans, however, he studiously avoided the term substantial, which they may have understood to mean “physical.”

Calvin affirmed the term substantial when it meant “real,” but rejected it when it meant “physical.”For Calvin the issue was Christological. He denied Christ’s physical, localized presence in the Lord’s Supper, because body and blood belong properly in his human nature, not his divine nature.

For Christ’s physical body and blood to be present at more than one place at the same time, his physical body would need to be omnipresent. The Lord’s Supper is celebrated at the same time in many parts of the world. How can the physical body and blood of Jesus be in Geneva, Paris, and London
    simultaneously?....................."Because the Christ Is GOD and GOD is Ubiquitous ! "

Calvin believed that the person of Christ can be and is omnipresent. But his omnipresence is in his divine nature in that omnipresence is a divine attribute. The Reformers believed that Christ is now absent from us in his body (which is in heaven), but that he is never absent from us in his deity. The New Testament speaks of Jesus’ departure, his “going away” from us, when he ascended into heaven, yet it also declares that he is always with us, even to the end of the age...."Because The Christ's Holy Spirit resides in his Resurrected, human body at all times ."

When we looked at the doctrine of the incomprehensibility of God, we noted Calvin’s axiom Finitum non capax infinitum, “The finite cannot grasp [or contain] the infinite.” The word capax can be rendered either “grasp” or “contain.” With respect to God’s incomprehensibility, capax is rendered “grasp.” When applied to Christ’s incarnation, it is rendered “contain.”

With respect to the Lord’s Supper, Calvin insisted that Christ, the God-man, is indeed ubiquitous and truly and substantially present, but he is present in his divine nature. Nor does the divine nature rupture its unity with the human nature when it is so present.

The human nature of Christ is now in heaven. It is still perfectly united to the divine nature. Though the human nature is restricted to its local presence in heaven, the divine nature is not so restricted because it cannot be contained by the finite.

http://fivebarleyloavestwofish.wordp...pax-infinitum/

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Finitum Non Capax Infinitum......by fivebarleyloavestwofish

John Calvin insisted on the real presence of Christ in the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. In dealing with those who reduced the sacrament to a mere symbol (a naked sign), Calvin insisted on the “substantial” presence of Christ. When dealing with Lutherans, however, he studiously avoided the term substantial, which they may have understood to mean “physical.”

Calvin affirmed the term substantial when it meant “real,” but rejected it when it meant “physical.”For Calvin the issue was Christological. He denied Christ’s physical, localized presence in the Lord’s Supper, because body and blood belong properly in his human nature, not his divine nature.

For Christ’s physical body and blood to be present at more than one place at the same time, his physical body would need to be omnipresent. The Lord’s Supper is celebrated at the same time in many parts of the world. How can the physical body and blood of Jesus be in Geneva, Paris, and London
    simultaneously?....................."Because the Christ Is GOD and GOD is Ubiquitous ! "

Calvin believed that the person of Christ can be and is omnipresent. But his omnipresence is in his divine nature in that omnipresence is a divine attribute. The Reformers believed that Christ is now absent from us in his body (which is in heaven), but that he is never absent from us in his deity. The New Testament speaks of Jesus’ departure, his “going away” from us, when he ascended into heaven, yet it also declares that he is always with us, even to the end of the age...."Because The Christ's Holy Spirit resides in his Resurrected, human body at all times ."

When we looked at the doctrine of the incomprehensibility of God, we noted Calvin’s axiom Finitum non capax infinitum, “The finite cannot grasp [or contain] the infinite.” The word capax can be rendered either “grasp” or “contain.” With respect to God’s incomprehensibility, capax is rendered “grasp.” When applied to Christ’s incarnation, it is rendered “contain.”

With respect to the Lord’s Supper, Calvin insisted that Christ, the God-man, is indeed ubiquitous and truly and substantially present, but he is present in his divine nature. Nor does the divine nature rupture its unity with the human nature when it is so present.

The human nature of Christ is now in heaven. It is still perfectly united to the divine nature. Though the human nature is restricted to its local presence in heaven, the divine nature is not so restricted because it cannot be contained by the finite.

http://fivebarleyloavestwofish.wordp...pax-infinitum/

The phrase is generally used in the context of being able to wholly understand the nature of God. God is infinite and the human mind is finite, thus the finite can not contain the infinite. We can never understand God in total because we don't have the ability to grasp His true nature. We would have to be infinite to do that and that would be impossible because God already occupies that being.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The phrase is generally used in the context of being able to wholly understand the nature of God. God is infinite and the human mind is finite, thus the finite can not contain the infinite. We can never understand God in total because we don't have the ability to grasp His true nature. We would have to be infinite to do that and that would be impossible because God already occupies that being.
    Do you believe that Jesus is true GOD,True man,and was Consubstantial,with the Holy Spirit and with the Father,while he was on earth as man as he is in Heaven now?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Do you believe that Jesus is true GOD,True man,and was Consubstantial,with the Holy Spirit and with the Father,while he was on earth as man as he is in Heaven now?
    Why do you ask? My position on the Deity of Christ is well known around here.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Why do you ask? My position on the Deity of Christ is well known around here.
    Just a question,don't get all defensive about it.

If I've read your testament of faith I don't recall it .John Calvin was leaving University of Paris about the same time as St Ignacio López de Loyola was arriving !Loyola later founded the Society Of Jesus in 1534.Their theologies are stark in their departure from each other given their common theological education.