1. #1 Acorn on Brink of Bankruptcy, Officials Say 
    This is an interesting one.

link

UpInArms Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Original message
    Acorn on Brink of Bankruptcy, Officials Say

Source: New York Times

BALTIMORE — The community organizing group Acorn, battered politically from the right and suffering from mismanagement along with a severe loss of government and other funds, is on the verge of filing for bankruptcy, officials of the group said Friday.

Acorn is holding a teleconference this weekend to discuss plans for a bankruptcy filing, two officials of the group said. They asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to speak to the news media.

Over the last six months, at least 15 of the group’s 30 state chapters have disbanded and have no plans of re-forming, Acorn officials said. The California and New York chapters, two of the largest, have severed their ties to the national group and have independently reconstituted themselves with new names. Several other state groups are also re-forming outside the Acorn umbrella, and will not be affected if the national organization files for bankruptcy.

This week, the Maryland chapter announced that it would not reopen its offices, which were shuttered in September in the wake of a widely publicized series of video recordings made by two conservative activists, posing as a prostitute and a pimp, who secretly filmed Acorn workers providing them tax advice. In the videos, Acorn workers told one of the activists, James E. O’Keefe III, how to hide prostitution activities from the authorities and avoid taxes, raising no objections to his proposed criminal activities.

After the activists’ videos came to light and swiftly became fodder for 24-hour cable news coverage, private donations from foundations to Acorn all but evaporated and the federal government quickly distanced itself from the group.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/20/us/politics/20acorn.h...
    It sounds good to me.
    ck4829 (1000+ posts)
    Response to Original message
    1. More people out of jobs, people facing foreclosure have lost their ONLY ally in certain areas

I hope conservatives remember that as they're doing their victory jig.
    fasttense (1000+ posts)
    2. So, yet again, after the Democratic party won by a landslide

majority, so huge that we have to go back over 30 years to find any correlation, they turn around and do the work for the RepubliCONS.

It's amazing, if I didn't know better, I'd say that the RepubliCONS won the last election.
    And I think it's amazing that liberals think they can do anything and everything they want "because they won in a landside." We'll see how that works when the Republicans win.
    joanmj (40 posts)
    3. I quit.

I had a job with ACORN in Denver and quit due to the lack of interest in catching voter registration fraud. No regrets.
    It's a traitor!!!:eek:
    Loki Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Response to Reply #3
    13. yeah sure

no profile, no comment. bye
    BunkerHill24 Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    4. ACORN was too slow to react the smear campaign, and now, they're too late to act on anything

...thank you, ACORN, but you suck on PR
    They didn't need PR. They needed an organization that wasn't corrupt. It's hard to defend yourself when there was so much evidence against them. Not just the videos, but all the embezzlement.
    joanmj (40 posts)
    20. exactly

it (registering voters) should be done by all volunteers. when i worked there they fired people who didn't make bt 20-25 registrations. and they hired anyone.

If anyone had a house go into foreclosure because they lost a low level Acorn job, they must have had a very tiny house. I don't believe they paid their minions much.

But if those who were big time stealing and cheating lost their house due to Acorn going under, sorry but live by the sword, die by the sword. They shouldn't live the big life with their fraudulent earnings.

And the two brothers that ran ACORN some how managed to become millionares .... go figure
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

I'm sure Acorn will be classified as one of those "too big to fail"
    industries that Obama will want us to bail out.

Die Bitter nut, DIE!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand