Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Fat Models Make Women Feel Bad Too. 
    Bigger Models Make Women Feel Bad About Themselves, Too
    Posted by: Lily Q Filed in: style
    11:10AM, Friday March 19th 2010

Dove’s Real Beauty ad campaigns are heralded as groundbreaking forays into being a bit more realistic about how women look. Glamour‘s new habit of featuring regular-sized broads after the publicity deluge the first time they did it, too, is widely praised. But here’s the thing: According to a new study by the University of Arizona, ads featuring bigger models don’t actually make most women feel very good about themselves. Apparently, pretty much everything makes women feel like crap about how they look.

According to the researchers, larger women feel better about themselves when ads don’t include any models at all, average-sized ladies actually have lower self-esteem after looking at ads with plus-sized models rather than uber-skinny ones, and thin folk prefer the traditional tiny models. The study did, however, come up with one icky way bigger models can be used to actually influence product sales: ” ... if a normal-size woman sees moderately heavy images in ads for weight-loss products, she might feel overweight and be more inclined to buy a diet plan or gym membership.” This is basically saying ads could use plus-sized models to make women feel bad enough about themselves that they want to spend more money on gym memberships and diet products. [The Cut]

What do you think? Do ads with bigger models make you feel better or worse about your body?
    Hmmm......I'm not sure how models make me feel. I'm not impressed by fat models or thin models. Basically, they are all models who have been given a huge amount of digital trickery. I don't buy fashion mags, though, so I'm probably out of the loop.

The Frisky

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Hmmm......I'm not sure how models make me feel. I'm not impressed by fat models or thin models. Basically, they are all models who have been given a huge amount of digital trickery. I don't buy fashion mags, though, so I'm probably out of the loop.

The Frisky
    34-24-35

Aren't "fat" models just regular looking women?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Aren't "fat" models just regular looking women?
    Stand outside a shopping center for an hour and tell me what regular is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Stand outside a shopping center for an hour and tell me what regular is.
    LMAO! No kidding. :D

Fat women need fat models for fat women's clothing catalogs. Seriously. They need to be able to see what the clothes will look like on someone their size, not on some 110 lb rail.

I haven't read a fashion magazine in a decade. I'm kind of surprised that Glamour decided to use fuller-figured models at all. My experience with fashion magazines is that they are shallow, vapid and full of articles about how to get away with sleeping with your boss or professor.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Fat women need fat models for fat women's clothing catalogs. Seriously. They need to be able to see what the clothes will look like on someone their size, not on some 110 lb rail.
    Apparently fat women don't care for fat models either (at least according to the article). I don't think they need more models (of any size), what they need are more full-length mirrors. We all do, really.

Power CUer
    I was a little depressed when I got my new issue of Vogue yesterday and there was an article on the difficulties of being a "plus-sized" model.

She's a size 10. She's on the front page of vogue.com, in the red dress. <sigh>
    Last edited by linda22003; 03-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Here's your size 10 porker:

She's stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Hmmm......I'm not sure how models make me feel. I'm not impressed by fat models or thin models. ]
    Wanna bet MOST women are the same way?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot