Thread: Ann Coulter Threatened With Criminal Charges In Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ann Coulter Threatened With Criminal Charges In Canada 
    Isn't that called Fascism?!

Ian David Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Mon Mar-22-10 07:54 PM
    Original message
    Ann Coulter Threatened With Criminal Charges In Canada Updated at 4:59 PM

Ann Coulter Threatened With Criminal Charges In Canada
    Reported by Ellen - March 22, 2010 -

Fox Nation is reporting that Ann Coulter's hate mongering could get her into more than just the headlines in Canada.

A letter from the University of Ottawa where, apparently, Coulter is scheduled to speak tomorrow, states:

We are, of course, always delighted to welcome speakers on our campus and hope that they will contribute positively to the meaningful exchange of ideas that is the hallmark of a great university campus. We have a great respect for freedom of expression in Canada, as well as on our campus, and view it as a fundamental freedom, as recognized by our Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I would, however, like to inform you, or perhaps remind you, that our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or "free speech") in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here.

You will realize that Canadian law puts reasonable limits on the freedom of expression. For example, promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges. Outside of the criminal realm, Canadian defamation laws also limit freedom of expression and may differ somewhat from those to which you are accustomed. I therefore ask you, while you are a guest on our campus, to weigh your words with respect and civility in mind.

<snip>

Gee, they didn't even mention that she's a two-time voter-fraud suspect.

More:
    http://www.newshounds.us/2010/03/22/ann_coulter_threate...

Hat-tip to: http://twitter.com/tlw3/status/10897107019

Five words for the DUmmies;

Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn.

However, if this were one of their own they'd be screaming bloody murder. Remember, to DUmmies, it's only freedom of speech if it's liberal/leftist speech.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Some of the DUers think it would be great if the US had the same laws as The Great White North.

" Scratch a Liberal, find a Fascist " ; nice of them to go out of their way to prove it for us.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    Some of the DUers think it would be great if the US had the same laws as The Great White North.

" Scratch a Liberal, find a Fascist " ; nice of them to go out of their way to prove it for us.
    These people wouldn't know freedom if it jumped up and punched then in their pointed heads. And aren't they the ones who accuse us of not having an open mind or not wanting debate?
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Moonbats are too fearful of debate; seen it many, many times over the years.

Why do think the Lefty sites don't have free speech?
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

FROM DRUDGE:

FLASH: Ann Coulter Ottawa speech shut down... 2000 protesters surrounding building with rocks and sticks -- pulled fire alarm in building. Cops shut it down! Blogs calling for Coulter to be hurt. MPs were banned from going, Coulter denounced by an MP in the Parliement.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Coulter speech cancelled over fears of violence

By: CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Tuesday Mar. 23, 2010 6:03 PM PT

The University of Ottawa cancelled a speech by U.S. firebrand conservative Ann Coulter late Tuesday, just moments before its scheduled start, because organizers feared protesters would turn violent.

As people were still making their way into the venue, the building had to be evacuated when a fire alarm was triggered.

The incident followed a Monday night lecture at the University of Western Ontario, where Coulter told a Muslim student to "take a camel" as an alternative to flying.

Coulter made the comment as she responded to a question from student Fatima Al-Dhaher, who asked about previous comments in which Coulter said Muslims shouldn't be allowed on airplanes and should take "flying carpets" instead. Al-Dhaher noted she did not own a flying carpet and asked what she should take as an alternative transportation.

Coulter did not deny making the flying carpet comment and replied to the university student, "What mode of transportation? Take a camel," to jeers and cheers. It was a decidedly pro-Coulter audience. One man, who identified himself as a U.S. citizen, described U.S. President Barack Obama as a "Marxist."

Some students, including Al-Dhaher, walked out after the camel comment.

Coulter said Tuesday that her comment about taking flying carpets was a joke that was made during an interview with The Guardian newspaper about racial profiling, and had been taken out of context.

"I can say it a lot quicker with a joke, and by the way, they wouldn't be bringing me in here for a speech if I never told a joke, if I never used satire," Coulter told CTV's Power Play Tuesday. "It's not so much a joke, it's satire because there's a political point behind my saying that they can take flying carpets."

Coulter did not elaborate on what her political point actually was.

She is well-known for her vehement views against Muslims. In a post-September 11 column, she wrote that the U.S. should invade Muslim countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

Al-Dhaher said she attended the lecture "with an open mind" and had not planned to ask a question. However, when Coulter began making remarks about homosexuals, African-Americans and Muslims, she felt the need to speak up, she said.

"I just thought that it was despicable and I thought that I should speak up against it," Al-Dhaher told CTV News Channel Tuesday afternoon. "So, I wrote on my phone because I was afraid I'd get nervous up there and forget my question."

Al-Dhaher said Coulter is entitled to her opinions but said the university could have chosen a right-wing speaker who is less inflammatory.

"I think that if the intention of the university is to bring two different speakers from two different political spectrums, I think that there are better choices from that camp that they could have chosen rather than Ann Coulter, because she is a bit vocal and she is a bit outrageous in some of the things that she says."

Coulter spoke in front of a packed audience of about 800 at the university.

Coulter to file human rights complaint

The cancellation of Coulter's lecture at the University of Ottawa came after she received an email about the limits of free speech in Canada from the school's provost.

The private email, which was leaked to conservative news organizations, noted that Canada's Charter of Rights meant that "promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges."

Francois Houle, vice-president academic and University of Ottawa provost, invited Coulter to educate herself on Canadian free speech laws.

"We, of course, are always delighted to welcome speakers on our campus and hope that they will contribute positively to the meaningful exchange of ideas that is the hallmark of a great university campus," wrote Houle.

The letter only added fuel to the fire of Coulter's speaking tour, which is titled, "Political Correctness, Media Bias and Freedom of Speech."

Coulter told Power Play that because she is from an identifiable group ("I'm a Christian, I'm a conservative, I'm a female"), she is the victim of a hate crime and will file a complaint with Canada's Human Rights Commission.

Wrong approach by U of Ottawa: MPs

Coulter, who often comments on Fox News, once said Canada is "lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent" after the Canadian government did not join the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Her tour was organized by International Free Press Society, a group whose website sets up Islam as the preeminent threat to democracy in the Western world.

"This jihad, like all jihads before it, will continue until a sharia-based caliphate rules the world, or until it is defeated," the society's policy statement says.

The group also sells one of the infamous Danish Mohammad cartoons, signed by cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, for $250. They are currently sold out.

Among the group's board of advisers are Canadian conservative bloggers Ezra Levant and Kathy Shaidle, author Mark Steyn and far-right Dutch political leader Geert Wilders.

Coulter reportedly commands a $10,000 speaking fee. Her fee is being covered in part by the Claire Boothe Luce Policy Institute, an American group that calls itself the "home of conservative women leaders."

Some critics say trying to quiet Coulter is the wrong approach to discrediting her views.

"In terms of putting limits on what she ... should say or shouldn't say, I'm not sure that helps," New Democrat MP Paul Dewar, told The Canadian Press. "It might add fuel to the fire that she will be probably starting tomorrow."

Liberal MP Scott Brison made a similar comment.

"If you don't agree with what she has to say, then ignore her," he said.

Coulter's Canadian tour wraps up at the University of Calgary on Thursday.

FROM: http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
    VIDEO AT LINK
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Sounds like a Moonbat paradise.

" If you say something we don't like, we'll throw you in jail! If that doesn't scare you, we'll send thugs out to disrupt the event and threaten violence! Only by Draconion laws, threats and censorship can we hope to remain free; And if you refuse to believe that we'll have you gassed and make into soap! "
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 03-24-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Yet they have no problem with Queef Slobberman. Hypocrites all.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Politically tired.
    Well you know, she did suggest we bomb Muslim countries and force Christianity on them. She also suggested that it was bad that women were allowed to vote because they often vote for the other side. She also said that we should execute a liberal just to send out the message to liberals that we can kill them (now, the person she was speaking of might have committed treason. HOWEVER, her point of saying that wasn't so much to stop treason but to paraphrase "show liberals we can kill them."

Yeah, I'd say she is very much full of hate speech. And you all can say what you want to, but the truth is you don't like liberals who act in similar ways (ex. Bill Maher, who is rumored to have slept with Coulter because the two are so darn much alike it's ridiculous).