Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Liberals exited over nothing. The SCOTUS will kill this bill. 
    Assuming the fed gov't CAN regulate health care under the interstate commerce clause, NOT BUYING health care has nothing to do with interstate commerce.

This whole bill relies on the mandated healthcare provision.

This is so blatantly unconstitutional it is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Aequitas View Post
    Assuming the fed gov't CAN regulate health care under the interstate commerce clause, NOT BUYING health care has nothing to do with interstate commerce.

This whole bill relies on the mandated healthcare provision.

This is so blatantly unconstitutional it is laughable.
    I would have to agree with you but we are no longer a nation of laws with a binding constitution. I will really be surprised if the supreme court rules against this. If they do hear the case, when will they hear it and will the administration listen and obey?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I would have to agree with you but we are no longer a nation of laws with a binding constitution. I will really be surprised if the supreme court rules against this. If they do hear the case, when will they hear it and will the administration listen and obey?
    Something like 9 state Attorney Generals ready to head to DC the day Obama signs it into law, with 38 states all together stating the same intentions. This isn't something that's going to get swept under the rug.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

The DUmp and some other impartial/liberal message boards are treating people who question the constitutionality of the bill like birthers. This whole ordeal is absolutely insane.

I find myself wondering if Obama's shot at SCOTUS in his SOTU is going to come back to haunt him. What better way to reassert themselves as an equal branch of government than by stomping on this POS bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    I find myself wondering if Obama's shot at SCOTUS in his SOTU is going to come back to haunt him. What better way to reassert themselves as an equal branch of government than by stomping on this POS bill?
    Who knows. To be on the SCOTUS you have to have an ego as big as the Washington Monument, so they may not forget his cheap shot at them. But then again all he needs is 5 votes on his pocket. Is it still illegal to bribe a judge? Or is it fine now like it is to bribe congressman?

The SCOTUS is one of the thinist straws of them all. SCOTUS scuttling this stands about as much chance as a veto. They will not just toss the whole thing. There are clearly precedents in just about everything in this bill, including insurance purchasing. They will surely take some specific legal challenges to specific issues. If some those are found to be unconstitutional, it will simply be "corrected" by the legislature or fixed or whatever.

The constitution today is such a bastardization of its original intent, just about every thing is constitutional.

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." -Barack Hussein Obama

It's going to make for good theater, anyway.

There has not been a Supreme Court case concerning whether the Federal Government can force you to engage in commerce as a condition of citizenship. It's new territory for the Court. The Commerce Clause has already been stretched well passed it's original intention, but not this far. We'll have to wait and see what the Court says.

Personally, I think the mandate will be declared unconstitutional. The rest of the bill will stand as far as I know. The bill is too massive to know whether some other chunks of it might fail in terms of constitutionality as well.
    Last edited by Swampfox; 03-23-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Don't hold your breath. If at best, they will kill only PARTS of this bill. Much like the corporate funding of campaign advertising. They didn't kill that law ether in its entirety, just the parts of it that violated the constitution.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009