1. #1 Best Of: DU'er tells DUmmies to stop joking about suicide. 
    ScreamingMeemie (1000+ posts) Tue Mar-23-10 02:06 AM
    Original message
    Can I just say one *small* thing that has nothing to do with HCR?
    Edited on Tue Mar-23-10 02:10 AM by ScreamingMeemie
    Laughing about suicide and suggesting it to the people you disagree with (yes even Freepers) is not funny. It will never be funny.
    Even those Freepers we love to hate have kids and loved ones, and you're laughing at the thought of putting them through hell.

Ask my son, if not me. It is hell. And never funny...because the person isn't suffering anymore, his/her loved ones are.

I know this is a PSA-ish type of thing, and I don't care what you think of me for posting it, because it's my reality. It wasn't pleasant to know that on another website there were those who cheered over the death of MrsGrumpy's husband because "she is such a bitch anyway".

I don't need hugs, and I'm sorry's...we're doing okay. We truly appreciate all the care and concern that was shown to us through those really tough months of horrifying finality. I just can't stand to see that on a democratic message board.

Thanks for your consideration of an all too real epidemic in our country that doesn't choose its victims based on their politics. It's true victims are sometimes the youngest among us.

Hope you all have a good night.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x7992921

5 replies at the time I found it, all supporting the poster. I won't be suprised to check on it tomorrow night and find some real scumbag replies though.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

It's good that the poster said that. It's really sad what some people want to joke about. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    It's good that the poster said that. It's really sad what some people want to joke about. :(
    Whats sad is the amount of people who don't joke about it over there, but are serious about it.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Whats sad is the amount of people who don't joke about it over there, but are serious about it.
    I know. I wish I could do something for them, but heck I'm not always the most mentally healthiest person myself. Two things I would suggest to these people.

1) Get help. If you're currently seeing somebody who isn't helping, find somebody else. If you can't afford it, look into assistance. If the person in front of you can't financially assist you, then ask them if they know who can. I realize that's frowned upon by some conservatives, but oh well.

2) Don't completely close your mind to the idea of medicine if you have depression. It can be very helpful, and a doctor might be able to ease a patient off when the time is right. Of course, medicine and counseling should go together according to experts.

3) If the pharmacy charges out the ass for a prescription, look into other pharmacies. There's a huge difference in prices between CVS and K-Mart. So don't assume you can't afford it.

4) Some parts of depression are situational. It's important to try to get out of that situation. Your mind might tell you that you can't, but that's not true. If living with some people, not being independent enough, or whatever is causing depression, then look at options of what you can do about that. Getting out of certain situations helps wonders as well.

I guess some people on the internet might think I'm crazy for writing this, but some already thought that, and it's not like I really know most people here so it's good. Oh, and that's another thing. Get off the computer. If you're spending hours of your day on a drama filled message board, then stop. It might be like quitting cigarettes, but stop. Okay, I'm finished. I have some work to do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    What's even sadder are people like Underground Panther who keep threatening to kill themselves and never do. How many times is that freak going to get my hopes up and then not follow through?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    What's even sadder are people like Underground Panther who keep threatening to kill themselves and never do. How many times is that freak going to get my hopes up and then not follow through?
    Speedy, you're an ass.

Banned
    Speedy, you're an ass.
    And I am not the one getting everyone's hopes up and then not following through with a nosedive off a ledge.

I guess some people on the internet might think I'm crazy for writing this, but some already thought that, and it's not like I really know most people here so it's good. Oh, and that's another thing. Get off the computer. If you're spending hours of your day on a drama filled message board, then stop. It might be like quitting cigarettes, but stop. Okay, I'm finished. I have some work to do.

It sounds to me like you have things together, and I'm a social worker. You got through it to the other side. That's always good.