Thread: Bobby Jindal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Bobby Jindal 
    My son & I were just having a conversation about Bobby Jindal. He is probably the greatest hope for the future of the conservative political movement available.

My son (age 22) would love to see him as the VP selection. Thinks he could bring youth, administrative experience and a TON of other advantages to the Republican ticket. Also says he has done amazing things with healthcare in Louisiana, which I hadn't heard.

My feeling is that he should have a few more years under his belt. Give him a chance to enhance his resume by cleaning up Louisiana. I think he's too much of a "newbie" at this point. In eight years he could be--hands down!--the choice for the top spot on the ticket!

Interested in the opinions of all the rest of you.

One question did come up: Why was the Louisiana election held in '07, rather than an even numbered year, like other states?

Power CUer
    I haven't heard enough about Jindal to have an opinion, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for states to have odd-year elections. My state does, for governor.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Jindal is a great candidate, but he needs a few years under his belt. He is still way more qualified than what the Dems are offering up though.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I haven't heard enough about Jindal to have an opinion, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for states to have odd-year elections. My state does, for governor.
    He showed an amazing amount of political courage in vetoing a raise for legislators recently. It had been one of his campaign promises. The legislature voted themselves a raise, anyway, probably to test him, and he stood up to them, risking riling them up and jeopardizing their cooperation down the road.

Everything I have heard about him has been positive.

(BTW, I'm from Michigan--and I wish Jennifer Granholm would be up for re-election--SOON! I've voted against her twice already, and would love the opportunity to do it again.)

Power CUer
    Then you'd be happy in Virginia, Mary Ann. We are (I think) the only state left that limits a governor to one term, so if you don't like someone you know he'll be gone fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Then you'd be happy in Virginia, Mary Ann. We are (I think) the only state left that limits a governor to one term, so if you don't like someone you know he'll be gone fairly soon.
    They can't succeed themselves but they can run again later.

Power CUer
    I'm trying to remember the last time one did. I think not since I moved here (1981). In fact, I just checked the full list and it looks like Patrick Henry is the last one who did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann View Post
    He showed an amazing amount of political courage in vetoing a raise for legislators recently. It had been one of his campaign promises. The legislature voted themselves a raise, anyway, probably to test him, and he stood up to them, risking riling them up and jeopardizing their cooperation down the road.

Everything I have heard about him has been positive.
    I voted for Gov. Jindal and think he will do great things for the state of Louisiana.

Let me set the record straight on the pay raise. The Gov. agreed to the pay raise and in exchange the legislature would pass his reforms. The reforms were passed and the shit hit the fan when taxpayers found out that legislators would wind up doubling their salaries. Presently, legislators in this state have the second highest pay scale in the south. The Gov. said he would not sign the pay raise but after so many days it would become law. However, with the outpouring of discontent leading to recalls of him and several other legislators, he changed his mind and vetoed it. I am hoping that these Democratic politicians will not hold it against him. Another Repub.Gov., Buddy Roemer, tried to ramrod legislation down the throats of the Democ. controlled legislature over 20 years ago and it turned into nothing but chaos.

Now lacarnut, he cut off lots of their crooked money, they have to make up the difference somewhere!!!:D

Eyelids
    Jindal would be a tough candidate, but theres no way the ignorant Republican base will come out for him. Definitely qualified, but very unelectable.