Thread: Bobby Jindal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bobby Jindal 
    My son & I were just having a conversation about Bobby Jindal. He is probably the greatest hope for the future of the conservative political movement available.

My son (age 22) would love to see him as the VP selection. Thinks he could bring youth, administrative experience and a TON of other advantages to the Republican ticket. Also says he has done amazing things with healthcare in Louisiana, which I hadn't heard.

My feeling is that he should have a few more years under his belt. Give him a chance to enhance his resume by cleaning up Louisiana. I think he's too much of a "newbie" at this point. In eight years he could be--hands down!--the choice for the top spot on the ticket!

Interested in the opinions of all the rest of you.

One question did come up: Why was the Louisiana election held in '07, rather than an even numbered year, like other states?

Power CUer
    I haven't heard enough about Jindal to have an opinion, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for states to have odd-year elections. My state does, for governor.

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Jindal is a great candidate, but he needs a few years under his belt. He is still way more qualified than what the Dems are offering up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann View Post

One question did come up: Why was the Louisiana election held in '07, rather than an even numbered year, like other states?

I don't have the faintest idea. :D

Elections in Louisiana, with the exception of U.S. presidential elections (and congressional races beginning in 2008), follow a variation of the open primary system called the jungle primary. Candidates of any and all parties are listed on one ballot; voters need not limit themselves to the candidates of one party. Unless one candidate takes more than 50% of the vote in the first round, a run-off election is then held between the top two candidates, who may in fact be members of the same party.
    I am an election commissioner and when we had our FIRST closed primary this spring, it was chaos. People kept saying"How can I be a Democrat, I've voted Republican for YEARS!"

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I haven't heard enough about Jindal to have an opinion, but I can tell you that it's not uncommon for states to have odd-year elections. My state does, for governor.
    He showed an amazing amount of political courage in vetoing a raise for legislators recently. It had been one of his campaign promises. The legislature voted themselves a raise, anyway, probably to test him, and he stood up to them, risking riling them up and jeopardizing their cooperation down the road.

Everything I have heard about him has been positive.

(BTW, I'm from Michigan--and I wish Jennifer Granholm would be up for re-election--SOON! I've voted against her twice already, and would love the opportunity to do it again.)

Power CUer
    Then you'd be happy in Virginia, Mary Ann. We are (I think) the only state left that limits a governor to one term, so if you don't like someone you know he'll be gone fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Then you'd be happy in Virginia, Mary Ann. We are (I think) the only state left that limits a governor to one term, so if you don't like someone you know he'll be gone fairly soon.
    They can't succeed themselves but they can run again later.

Power CUer
    I'm trying to remember the last time one did. I think not since I moved here (1981). In fact, I just checked the full list and it looks like Patrick Henry is the last one who did.

Library Lady won't let Bobby run for VP:(................................but with experience he will be seasoned to run for President (if he isn't seduced to become a RINO.)

Bobby and my family.

He is not going to become a RINO.:D

I had to laugh today, a very liberal newspaper columnist here published a very nice article about Jindal and I thanked him and said it must have broken his heart to admit a Republican was doing well.

Let us have him for a few years!!