Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1 Ronald Reagan speaks on National Health Care. 
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    5,204
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdLpem-AAs

    God we need a leader like him back bad right now.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    He's dead, so is that decade, so is your youth. None of them are ever coming back. Deal with it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Megaguns91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warshington
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    He's dead, so is that decade, so is your youth. None of them are ever coming back. Deal with it.
    What happened to ARBITRARY Wee Wee?

    You are making a prime example of the hypocracy that liberals puke every time they open their fat mouths.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    What happened to ARBITRARY Wee Wee?

    You are making a prime example of the hypocracy that liberals puke every time they open their fat mouths.
    What happened to it? Are you holding what I said as some sort of golden ineffable rule that I am bound to? If so, you didn't get what I was saying
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Megaguns91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warshington
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    What happened to it? Are you holding what I said as some sort of golden ineffable rule that I am bound to? If so, you didn't get what I was saying
    What is the "proper" role of the government? That's for the people to decide and their decision is ALWAYS arbitrary. It's important to remember that it is arbitrary too when a new generation decides to re-define that role.
    It's ok to disagree, but before we can have any debate, any discussion, or any sense of understanding we must remember that the concepts and definitions that we ourselves are working with are totally arbitrary.
    arbitrary (based on or subject to individual discretion or preference or sometimes impulse or caprice) "an arbitrary decision"; "the arbitrary rule of a dictator"; "an arbitrary penalty"; "of arbitrary size and shape"; "an arbitrary choice"; "arbitrary division of the group into halves"


    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    I'm still not catching the contradiction.

    Our societal definitions change over time, and they are arbitrarily decided by our various stances on issues, however the "line" between defined roles (like government) are not founded in anything Absolute, but continuously evolving.

    Also Reagan is dead and because reality is a constant process of change, the "golden era" of your youth is gone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Megaguns91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warshington
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I'm still not catching the contradiction.

    Our societal definitions change over time, and they are arbitrarily decided by our various stances on issues, however the "line" between defined roles (like government) are not founded in anything Absolute, but continuously evolving.

    Also Reagan is dead and because reality is a constant process of change, the "golden era" of your youth is gone.
    I'm 18. The so-called golden era of my youth is supposed to be right now. It's not. I hope that the golden era of the 1930's dies out soon and takes all social programs with it.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    I'm 18. The so-called golden era of my youth is supposed to be right now. It's not. I hope that the golden era of the 1930's dies out soon and takes all social programs with it.
    You do realize that if all social programs were halted millions of people would die, the economy would go into freefall as everyone who benefits from social programs suddenly stop shopping as much, and crime would soar to levels neither of us have ever seen?

    Why do you think these social programs are so awful? Keep in mind that they (while never perfect) were put in place to address a problem. If you remove them you are still left with the gaping problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    And the golden era is right now. You were born into the birth of the information revolution. It's changing not just how we enjoy our media or get information but fundmentally changing how we think, how we function as a society, and dissolving old limits. Even without the political changes you're already living in what will be looked back as a change as major as the Industrial Revolution. However, it's all tied together.

    Looking back to a previous era for guidance for political, economic, cultural, ect. issues won't work if you are hoping to regain that and simply hold it. Every aspect of society changes together, so because the Reagan days were so different culturally, technologically, philosophically, economically, you cannot expect one solid lesson on one issue from that time to be applicable today.

    The key to history is learning how society has evolved through history, evolution is stability. Rigidity causes breakage.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    1,618
    I disagree with your statement that all social programs were put in place to address a problem. I think a more accurate statement is that social programs were put in place to appease a special interest or curry political favor. Now of course I am not talking about every social program. There are some that stand on their own merits.

    You could almost always make a case that helping [insert special interest group, object or cause here] is a "nice" thing to do. Perhaps even a noble or worthy thing as well. However it's harder to justify that it's a "necessary" thing to do, or more so that it's necessary for the government to do it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •