1. #1 One Million Infantino Baby Slings Recalled 
    March 24, 2010
    One Million Infantino Baby Slings Recalled

Feds: The Sling Rider and Wendy Bellissimo Could Pose Suffocation Hazards

Baby slings made by Infantion being recalled due to possible safety hazards (CBS)
    Stories

(CBS) The popularity of baby slings has been on the rise over the past four years.

But, reports "Early Show" Consumer Correspondent Susan Koeppen, the Consumer Product Safety Commission says two slings are considered so dangerous they're being pulled from the market, and parents are being told to stop using them.

Earlier this month, "The Early Show" broke the news that federal regulators were warning of possible suffocation hazards posed by baby slings -- which parents put around their necks and carry their babies in.

Now, the CPSC has announced the voluntary recall of one million slings made by Infantino.

The Sling Rider and the Wendy Bellissimo are being pulled because they pose a suffocation risk, Koeppen says.

Asked by Koeppen how quickly a child could suffocate in "one these slings," CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum responded, "In a matter of minutes."

Tenenbaum says three children died in Infantino slings last year alone.

"You might have your baby in a sling next to you and not notice that the baby has gone into (a) position (in which he or she) cannot breathe" until it's too late, Tenenbaum added.

That, notes Koeppen, is exactly what happened to seven-day-old Derrik Fowler during a shopping trip with his mother, Lisa Cochran.

She'd been carrying her newborn in a sling made by Infantino. "By the time I got to the car and pulled him out of the sling to put him in his car seat, he was no longer of normal color," Cochran recalls.

Infants younger than four months are at greatest risk in slings, Koeppen points out, because their weak neck muscles mean they have no head control. An infant can curl into a "C"-shape, with the chin falling into the chest -- restricting the baby's airway.

CBS

Who takes their 7 day old out shopping? Other than that, who puts them in a friggen glorified diaper bag?
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    Who takes their 7 day old out shopping? Other than that, who puts them in a friggen glorified diaper bag?
    It's part this whole 24/7 hyper-parenting some people are doing. The idea is that illiterate subsistence farmers (all women) in Africa carry their kids around in slings all day long to make it easier to feed them and to promote some kind intense bonding. If African peasants are doing it - it must be good enough for us.

I've never had a baby, but common sense tells me to be leery of anything that is called a "baby sling". It just doesn't even sound safe.

My how we've evolved.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

How far can you hurl a baby with one of those things?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    How far can you hurl a baby with one of those things?
    37.8 meters is the current record. Of course, that was under ideal conditions.

If a baby is suffocating in its sling, then you're probably not launching it fast enough. God, some people are so bad at proper parenting.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)