Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I've got good insurance and I'm a union member. I don't think the legislation will affect my health care. I'm mainly concerned about the cost.
    As I understand it (I'm union as well) our benefits will be taxed starting in 2014. A deal was negotiated in the Senate bill that exempts union members from the tax until 2018, but was later changed to 2014.

Edit: Dingell took over his Fathers seat, and I hope history doesn't repeat itself again. Jefferson wrote of the "elected monarchy", but if I remember correctly he was referring to the Senate were it to be elected by the people rather than state legislatures.
    Last edited by Freeman_Shadwell; 03-25-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman_Shadwell View Post
    As I understand it (I'm union as well) our benefits will be taxed starting in 2014. A deal was negotiated in the Senate bill that exempts union members from the tax until 2018, but was later changed to 2014.

Edit: Dingell took over his Fathers seat, and I hope history doesn't repeat itself again. Jefferson wrote of the "elected monarchy", but if I remember correctly he was referring to the Senate were it to be elected by the people rather than state legislatures.

For what it's worth, the son I know is a family court judge and is good at what he does. He is tough on the delinquents and fair to the foster kids and their parents. He stands up for father's rights in a court notorious for running over them.

For what it's worth, the son I know is a family court judge and is good at what he does. He is tough on the delinquents and fair to the foster kids and their parents. He stands up for father's rights in a court notorious for running over them.
    If he's the Judge, then isn't it his court? How can his court run over Father's rights if he consistently stands up for them?

Don't get me wrong, those are admirable attributes for any man. But conducting and honest court that is under his control doesn't mean he is uncorrectable as a 3rd generation U.S. congressman. I fear he will feel entitled if he got to DC.

If he's the Judge, then isn't it his court? How can his court run over Father's rights if he consistently stands up for them?

Don't get me wrong, those are admirable attributes for any man. But conducting and honest court that is under his control doesn't mean he is uncorrectable as a 3rd generation U.S. congressman. I fear he will feel entitled if he got to DC.

It's a big county, with lots of judges and officials in each court system. Family court is traditionally dominated by female officials, at least in metro Detroit. I'm just saying that he's a good guy, basically. I'm not necessarily endorsing him for congress, I don't live in that district. I live in Sander Levin's district, and I don't think he's going anywhere.

It's a big county, with lots of judges and officials in each court system. Family court is traditionally dominated by female officials, at least in metro Detroit. I'm just saying that he's a good guy, basically. I'm not necessarily endorsing him for congress, I don't live in that district. I live in Sander Levin's district, and I don't think he's going anywhere.
    I haven't personally spent much time in the court system, and none at all in family court, but from what I understand of it from people that have you're right. The Father is more often than not pushing a boulder uphill, and the Mother riding down one on a skateboard.

I also live in Levin's district, and unfortunately I fear he stays this fall as well. Though I am going to help Switalski's campaign in the Democratic primary. I think the only way he can be unseated is by another democrat, and I'd rather see another democrat take his seat that knows he will be held accountable than that self important prick reelected.

I haven't personally spent much time in the court system, and none at all in family court, but from what I understand of it from people that have you're right. The Father is more often than not pushing a boulder uphill, and the Mother riding down one on a skateboard.

I also live in Levin's district, and unfortunately I fear he stays this fall as well. Though I am going to help Switalski's campaign in the Democratic primary. I think the only way he can be unseated is by another democrat, and I'd rather see another democrat take his seat that knows he will be held accountable than that self important prick reelected.
    Keep in mind - many states stand to lose or gain seats after the census. Don't neglect state races. I know that the only way to unseat my local democrat swine - Mike Doyle - is to redistrict him out of his job and I intend to do everything I can to see that happen. :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Keep in mind - many states stand to lose or gain seats after the census. Don't neglect state races. I know that the only way to unseat my local democrat swine - Mike Doyle - is to redistrict him out of his job and I intend to do everything I can to see that happen. :)
    Levin is pretty solid with the union vote. No amount of redistricting will change that. The best bet to get rid of him is in the democrat primary.

Levin is pretty solid with the union vote. No amount of redistricting will change that. The best bet to get rid of him is in the democrat primary.
    Ah - but if the GOP gains control of the Michigan legislature - they can eliminate his district through redistricting and force him to run for a seat in a newly created district against some other big name democrat.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Ah - but if the GOP gains control of the Michigan legislature - they can eliminate his district through redistricting and force him to run for a seat in a newly created district against some other big name democrat.
    Pretty much all of south east Michigan votes for whoever the UAW tells them to. :mad: They'd have to redistrict him pretty damn far away.

I'd really like to see him ousted in the primary, and I think there's a chance of it happening.