Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Anyone notice the Federal Tax increase this year? 
    This is the time of year that I receive my pay raises. I get the congressional pay raise in January, and then every two years I receive another pay raise in February (my month of enlistment). So I have gone back to review my pay and all that, and noticed a pretty big jump in taxes over the last few months.

I currently claim 3 dependants, so as of December 2009 I was paying $9.85 a month in Fed Taxes. In January 2010, with no change in dependant status and only a $84 a month increase in pay, my Fed Taxes jumped to $34.45. A 300% increase. In Feb they went to $41.07, and in March $51.00.

Now my taxable income is $33,000 a year. I am just inside the second lowest tax bracket at the moment, but I've seen a 500% increase in the taxes that I pay this year. Has anyone else noticed this?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    This is the time of year that I receive my pay raises. I get the congressional pay raise in January, and then every two years I receive another pay raise in February (my month of enlistment). So I have gone back to review my pay and all that, and noticed a pretty big jump in taxes over the last few months.

I currently claim 3 dependants, so as of December 2009 I was paying $9.85 a month in Fed Taxes. In January 2010, with no change in dependant status and only a $84 a month increase in pay, my Fed Taxes jumped to $34.45. A 300% increase. In Feb they went to $41.07, and in March $51.00.

Now my taxable income is $33,000 a year. I am just inside the second lowest tax bracket at the moment, but I've seen a 500% increase in the taxes that I pay this year. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yup. Gotta love it when the big O makes promises he can't keep.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Go figure... in two years when I get my next pay raise of $100 a month, I'll end up owing the government a whole 10% more of my pay. I'm really starting to see the benefit of a flat tax.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Go figure... in two years when I get my next pay raise of $100 a month, I'll end up owing the government a whole 10% more of my pay. I'm really starting to see the benefit of a flat tax.
    I'm starting to see the benefit of voting conservative. But the DUmmies will never notice a thing if they're who they really pretend to be: anti-capitalists.

Now I'm not saying all liberals are this way, but hopefully these liberals that actually earn their fair keep see why it is that we're conservatives: We're sick of being taxed the sh*t out of.

This subject is a thorn in my a**.

:mad:

I'm not paying any more in taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Do you fall within the same tax bracket? As well, are you getting a larger, smaller or similar tax refund? Do you pay state income tax as well (which I believe happens to be a federal write off)?

It happens that I fall in a higher tax bracket this year than last year (not by much, but happens to be a substantial amount because I do not make a lot of money) and therefore have to pay more in taxes. My expected refund this year is a pittance.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You will.

I think I saw John Galt leaving town.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

We have had a flat tax before. What we need is the Fairtax.

Banned

Around the first part or middle part of 2009, Obummer announced a reduction in taxes withheld. Note, this was NOT a tax cut but some phony scheme to make people think so. Consequently, many people found out that the taxes withheld were not enough and wound up owing . The purpose was to put more money in your pocket to aid in the recovering economy. Had the dunce-in-office left the payment of taxes alone this would not have happened. Could be that the taxes have reverted back to the pre 2009 era.

If you think too much taxes are being taking out, re-do your withholding form and add an extra exemption or two. Just make sure you are not underestimating your taxes by too large a margin otherwise the IRS will penalize you.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 03-25-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Power CUer
    Yes, there was an increase this year. We pay in taxes nearly what DJones says he has in salary...
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken