Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Congress clears historic health care bill 
    WASHINGTON – Summoned to success by President Barack Obama, the Democratic-controlled Congress approved historic legislation Sunday night extending health care to tens of millions of uninsured Americans and cracking down on insurance company abuses, a climactic chapter in the century-long quest for near universal coverage.

Widely viewed as dead two months ago, the Senate-passed bill cleared the House on a 219-212 vote, with Republicans unanimous in opposition.

Congressional officials said they expected Obama to sign the bill as early as Tuesday.

A second measure — making changes in the first — was lined up for passage later in the evening. It would then go to the Senate, where Democratic leaders said they had the votes to pass it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul
    Last edited by bijou; 03-23-2010 at 02:12 AM.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...YwNDlmNWIxNzg=

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Dependence Day! [Mark Steyn]
    Well, it seems to be in the bag now. I try to be a sunny the-glass-is-one-sixteenth-full kinda guy, but it's hard to overestimate the magnitude of what the Democrats have accomplished. Whatever is in the bill is an intermediate stage: As the graph posted earlier shows, the governmentalization of health care will accelerate, private insurers will no longer be free to be "insurers" in any meaningful sense of that term (ie, evaluators of risk), and once that's clear we'll be on the fast track to Obama's desired destination of single payer as a fait accomplis.

If Barack Obama does nothing else in his term in office, this will make him one of the most consequential presidents in history. It's a huge transformative event in Americans' view of themselves and of the role of government. You can say, oh, well, the polls show most people opposed to it, but, if that mattered, the Dems wouldn't be doing what they're doing. Their bet is that it can't be undone, and that over time, as I've been saying for years now, governmentalized health care not only changes the relationship of the citizen to the state but the very character of the people. As I wrote in NR recently, there's plenty of evidence to support that from Britain, Canada, and elsewhere.

More prosaically, it's also unaffordable. That's why one of the first things that middle-rank powers abandon once they go down this road is a global military capability. If you take the view that the U.S. is an imperialist aggressor, congratulations: You can cease worrying. But, if you think that America has been the ultimate guarantor of the post-war global order, it's less cheery. Five years from now, just as in Canada and Europe two generations ago, we'll be getting used to announcements of defense cuts to prop up the unsustainable costs of big government at home. And, as the superpower retrenches, America's enemies will be quick to scent opportunity.

Longer wait times, fewer doctors, more bureaucracy, massive IRS expansion, explosive debt, the end of the Pax Americana, and global Armageddon. Must try to look on the bright side . . .
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Congress signs their death warrant.

Can't wait for November.......

Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post

By November they will have forced through their cap and trade and will likely be started on opening our borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post

Why wait? Does your state permit a recall? NJ does and we are petitioning to recall Menendez for his support of this pile of shit.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Why wait? Does your state permit a recall? NJ does and we are petitioning to recall Menendez for his support of this pile of shit.

Several months ago, the Tea Party Party folks started a Sen. Mary Landrieu recall petition. The LA Attorney General ruled that he would not file the petition in court because it is unconstitutional even if it had the allocated signatures. He is a staunch conservative, and prepared a statement that State legislators can be recalled by the people but not Federal officials. My understanding is that no Federal Congress critter has ever been recalled by the people.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post

Several months ago, the Tea Party Party folks started a Sen. Mary Landrieu recall petition. The LA Attorney General ruled that he would not file the petition in court because it is unconstitutional even if it had the allocated signatures. He is a staunch conservative, and prepared a statement that State legislators can be recalled by the people but not Federal officials. My understanding is that no Federal Congress critter has ever been recalled by the people.
    There is always a first time for everything.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Power CUer
    I just don't know what to do. I am so utterly devastated that this thing passed that I don't know what to do.

I feel like what was left of my country just died.:(

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I just don't know what to do. I am so utterly devastated that this thing passed that I don't know what to do.

I feel like what was left of my country just died.:(
    I'm with you. I think we are yet to realize how much damage has been done

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'm with you. I think we are yet to realize how much damage has been done
    We won't see a lot of it until 2014, when this stuff really kicks in. But insurers should be raising their rates now, in preparation for this monstrosity of a law to take effect.

God I just want to die right now. :(

Well, maybe not die. But where the hell was God in all this anyway? The vote was so close. No miracles?