Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    a lot of times I'm able to put them in an external usb enclosure and run them long enough to get the files off them. If they won't start slap them in the palm of your hand and try again.
    I doubt he has an external USB hookup for it, or would know how to set it up. Slapping part is new to me, but sounds reasonable.

One question before he tries this him self. Warranty? If its still under its warranty, then Gateway should pay for a new drive, and in most cases, install it for you. But they will charge to try and save any thing on the old drive. One warning, calling their support line is almost a waste of time, gateway sucks on customer support, and in most cases, take it back to where you bought it, to see if they can take care of it there.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    You just aint following! Buy computer. Take out of box. turn on and use! When that fails, I'm lost! My son is pretty up on this stuff, Ill see what he has to say! Probably, Dad..... shoot it! :D
    Before you shoot it mail it to me and I'll fix it and give it to some poor schmuck that doesn't have one.

Before you shoot it mail it to me and I'll fix it and give it to some poor schmuck that doesn't have one.
    But you will see where i have been, that won't be healthy! :eek:

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

But you will see where i have been, that won't be healthy! :eek:
    Have your son take the drive out before you mail it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I doubt he has an external USB hookup for it, or would know how to set it up. Slapping part is new to me, but sounds reasonable.

One question before he tries this him self. Warranty? If its still under its warranty, then Gateway should pay for a new drive, and in most cases, install it for you. But they will charge to try and save any thing on the old drive. One warning, calling their support line is almost a waste of time, gateway sucks on customer support, and in most cases, take it back to where you bought it, to see if they can take care of it there.
    Hey! I'm right here! I can hear you! No warranty, its 2 years old and it was about 400 bucs back then. I don't mind it dying, I just wish I had put all my docs on a disc, my photos are mainly on photobucket so I'm not worried about them. It really sucks that now my wife doesn't have a computer! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

I would say about 75% of the time I can get them to run long enough to get personal documents out of them. a lot of times the little styluses or arms whatever you call them get stuck from wear and slapping them frees them up for awhile but they freeze up again so when you get them running download everything immediately.

I would say about 75% of the time I can get them to run long enough to get personal documents out of them. a lot of times the little styluses or arms whatever you call them get stuck from wear and slapping them frees them up for awhile but they freeze up again so when you get them running download everything immediately.
    Actually, there is nothing incriminating on there! But in my docs are all my email forms and proposals and saved spreadsheets for all jobs I'm still working on! This sucks!

Actually, there is nothing incriminating on there! But in my docs are all my email forms and proposals and saved spreadsheets for all jobs I'm still working on! This sucks!
    Your just going to have to get an external drive and start backing things up. You can get programs that will do it automatically for you.

If the OS is just corrupted and the Hard Drive isn't totally dead, you caould try to have someone competent in computer repair reinstall the OS. If they're successful, you'll be able to save the data from the HD. It may not work, but only if the HD is DEAD. I'd take it to someone who can repair it myself.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Hey Rock, is that true for PC's as well? I have a Compaq I bought but either the mother board or hard drive went. I have stuff on that computer I want to save like pictures of my dog when he was a puppy. And if so, is there a way to connect a PC hard drive with a laptop?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.