1. #1 Ronald McDonald urged to retire 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    A coalition of health professionals, parents and corporate accountability advocates is calling for Ronald McDonald to retire as a spokesman for the nation's largest restaurant chain, saying he has too much influence on kids.

Corporate Accountability International, which has waged campaigns against bottled-water companies and tobacco companies, said it plans to present the results of a survey Wednesday showing that most Americans agree.

The organization is asking Americans to urge the mascot to retire, spokesman Nick Guroff said.

A statement from McDonald's said Ronald's role as a brand ambassador hasn't changed. It's to bring out the fun side of having meals with family and to promote an active lifestyle.

LUNACY
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    A coalition of health professionals, parents and corporate accountability advocates is calling for Ronald McDonald to retire as a spokesman for the nation's largest restaurant chain, saying he has too much influence on kids.

Corporate Accountability International, which has waged campaigns against bottled-water companies and tobacco companies, said it plans to present the results of a survey Wednesday showing that most Americans agree.

The organization is asking Americans to urge the mascot to retire, spokesman Nick Guroff said.

A statement from McDonald's said Ronald's role as a brand ambassador hasn't changed. It's to bring out the fun side of having meals with family and to promote an active lifestyle.

LUNACY
    And here in lies one of the great problems in America. There are entirely to many people who think that they know what is good for everyone else and are willing to do the absurd in order to make themselves feel like they are actually contributing something important to the betterment of America society. Worse than that, there are far too many people who are willing to listen to them.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Surely it's the parents who buy this food and feed it to their precious snowflakes, right? I mean, 6 year olds aren't hopping in the car and loading up at the drive-through.

Instead of McDonald's retooling their spokes-cartoon, maybe the parents should learn to say "no".

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It's a conspiracy!!!!!!

I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    And leave the kiddies in the clutching hands of the Burger King? :eek:

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    And leave the kiddies in the clutching hands of the Burger King? :eek:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Although, Burger King is the place with the apple fries-fresh apple slices that are cut to look like french fries. Poor kids who get tricked into that side dish!

I have a funny Ronald McDonald story. I was living in Brownwood, Tx about 7 or 8 years ago when someone kidnapped Ronald right out of his yard! The McDonald's restaurant was right on the main hwy going through town. Someone nabbed him in the dead of night, the police pinpointed sometime between about 2 AM and 5 AM. (life size statue)

It was the headlines of the paper, and got to be such a big story. There was no ransom demand made, but there was a reward offered by the McDonald family for the return of little Ron. There were a few sightings of him reported, seen riding in various vehicles, but no leads. The police announced that if the 'nappers would just return him safely, no charges would be pressed. Finally, one day he was found standing in a busy intersection - apparently the kidnappers decided he was too hot to keep, and just turned him loose; or perhaps he had escaped. Anyway he finally was back home safe in his yard. The kidnappers were never caught, and speculation was that it was a group effort by several high school kids who passed him around as a prank.
    Last edited by Kay; 03-29-2010 at 10:21 PM.