Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Marine's Father Will Not Pay Court-Ordered Funeral Protesters' Fees 
    The father of a Marine killed in Iraq whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters told Fox News he will defy a court order and not pay the protesters' appeal costs.

Albert Snyder, of York, Pa., told Fox News he does not intend to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps, the leader of Kansas' Westboro Baptist Church, which held protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

"I don't think I'm going to be writing a check until I hear from the Supreme Court," Snyder told Fox News on Tuesday. "I'm not about to pay them anything."

The Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder on Friday to pay Phelps. A two-page decision supplied by his attorneys offered no details on how the court came to its decision.

The decision adds "insult to injury," said Sean Summers, one of Snyder's attorneys.

Snyder is also struggling to come up with fees associated with filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court, his attorneys said.

The high court agreed to consider whether the protesters' message is protected by the First Amendment or limited by the competing privacy and religious rights of the mourners.

A federal appeals court dismissed the suit on First Amendment grounds earlier this month and threw out a $5 million award against the protesters, some of whom carried signs that read "God Hates You" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

A funeral for the fallen Marline was held in March 2006 in Westminster, Md. Snyder, 20, died from a non-combat-related vehicle accident on March 3, 2006, while supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

According to a Web site created in Snyder's honor, his relatives filed the civil lawsuit against the Westboro Baptist Church to "bring an end to the reign of terror and abuse that they inflicted" upon grieving families of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Using innocent children to deliver their twisted message of hatred and fear, the defendants in this suit have sought to attack the memory of our departed heroes, to strip their loved one of dignity, and to use abuse and intimidation as a tool for preventing surviving family members from reaching closure over their loss," the Web site read.

Cathy Menefee, Snyder's sister, told the Baltimore Sun in 2006 that her brother had an unwavering sense of responsibility that led to his decision to join the military.

"It sounds so cliche, but he died doing what he wanted to do," Menefee told the paper. "He always wanted to be a Marine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/30...rs-court-fees/
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I'm going to say right now that if the SCOTUS says that this guy has to pay these fees, we should send him money. There is no justice in this world if the father of a fallen Marine is made to pay a disgusting organization like WBC and this man is going to take money out of his own pocket to do so over my dead body.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm going to say right now that if the SCOTUS says that this guy has to pay these fees, we should send him money. There is no justice in this world if the father of a fallen Marine is made to pay a disgusting organization like WBC and this man is going to take money out of his own pocket to do so over my dead body.
    I agree completely.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Banned

Banned
    The S.C. will overturn this dumb ass decision plus Bill O on his show tonight said he would fork over the $16.5k

If Fred Phelps keeps this up he will have to hire his own secret service!

this man is going to take money out of his own pocket to do so over my dead body.
    That is for sure. Every forum/blog/place I read on the internet was already posting the information on where and how to donate. I'm very glad to see that Bill O'Reilly stepped up on this, saying not only is he paying the family's legal fees, but that he would continue to follow it and help them all the way through the Supreme Court hearing too.

I went to the 4Th Circuit web page, hoping to email them my disgust at their ruling. Wouldn't you know it, no contact page. We've got to get rid of these PC, liberal pieces of trash they call judges.

Agreed.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsedriver View Post
    I went to the 4Th Circuit web page, hoping to email them my disgust at their ruling. Wouldn't you know it, no contact page. We've got to get rid of these PC, liberal pieces of trash they call judges.
    People only hate judges when they disagree with them. You really wouldn't want judges who read fan/hate mail, would you? Judges are supposed to be dispassionate and sometimes we peasants have difficulty understanding that the judge isn't deciding who is right and who is wrong, or who is good and who is bad- they are deciding the proper application of the law. They also have a sense of street level justice though, which is why they sometimes give the win to a person, but only give him a dollar to prove it.