Thread: Question for Marines/Ex Marines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1 Question for Marines/Ex Marines 
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    I know a guy who is a marine (in training to be exact), and by association a friend of his, who is also a marine.
    The guy, well both of them, have a self profressed deep hatred and disdain for 'civilians'. My friend refers to everyone as 'civilian'--in a very condescending way, as in he talks down to those who aren't military, he feels the military would/would've been nothing without the marines and despises civilians saying civilians are ''all fucked up.''

    His friend, according to my friend, also hates civilians.

    I was wondering if this hatred and disdain for civilians and other military branches is common in the marines/?

    --I know guys who are in the Army and guys who are in the Navy and none of them have any of the anger or hate toward civilians nor any arrogance--they don't act as if their being in the military puts them a step above everyone else, unlike my friend and his friend.
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    I would have to ask your friend, who is he serving? Who is he fighting for? Other Marines? If he is not fighting for the civilians, then he is a disgrace. When I was in the army I did view civilians as weak, but I did not hate them. That is who I was serving. "Marines" like your friend are the ones who would gleefully turn their weapons upon us at the behest of Obama and what does that say about him?
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I would have to ask your friend, who is he serving? Who is he fighting for? Other Marines? If he is not fighting for the civilians, then he is a disgrace. When I was in the army I did view civilians as weak, but I did not hate them. That is who I was serving. "Marines" like your friend are the ones who would gleefully turn their weapons upon us at the behest of Obama and what does that say about him?
    Well, I doubt he'd do much of anything at the behest of Obama--he is a self described ''far right conservative'' who hates Obama.' He joined the marines, he said, because he is a soldier of God and is fighting a war against God's enemies--a modern crusade is the way he put it--That is who he is serving. He also serves because he feels the need to be part of something larger--major insecurity issues. He has said that without his rifle he is ''nothing'', and without the corps., he is ''nothing''.
    This is the same guy who let the aforementioned friend (other marine) talk about his own ''beloved'' girlfriend like a whore simply because he was also a marine, thereby making them 'brothers'.

    He takes it EXTREMELY seriously--as I said, refers to every non military person as ''civilian'' in a condescending manner, and says ''Semper Fi'' at the end of every conversation.
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,243
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Well, I doubt he'd do much of anything at the behest of Obama--he is a self described ''far right conservative'' who hates Obama.' He joined the marines, he said, because he is a soldier of God and is fighting a war against God's enemies--a modern crusade is the way he put it--That is who he is serving.
    It doesn't matter if it's Obama. There's a reason his Commander in Chief is a civilian. As to his other remarks, has he attracted the attention of mental health professionals where he's stationed?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    11,865
    I don't know many Marines, but I really don't think what your friend is saying is indicative of the entire corps. I grew up with a guy who wanted to be a Marine since he was a little kid-he wanted to be a Marine because he felt that the Marine Corps had the highest standards of performance and honor of all the military branches and that is what he wanted to be. He still is one, as far as I know. His view has always been one of serving his nation with honor, not of only serving some of the american people.
     

  6. #6  
    It's pretty common for young men who have entered a risky occupation to talk trash about those who aren't part of their group. You hear it among guys who go into police work or fire fighting, you hear it from young truckers and heavy equipment operators, and you will always hear it from guys with hobbies like base-jumping, extreme skiing, or motorcycle sports.

    There's nothing sinister at work here - it's a common phase people go through. It happens more to guys because they are much more likely to be involved in a physically demanding effort that requires a lot of very tight teamwork. A necessary part of building a team is making sure to exclude almost everybody from that team and labeling the team members themselves as superior in some way. That's just way it works.

    As they grow older and more confident (and less cocky) this behavior will tone down. ;)
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I would have to ask your friend, who is he serving? Who is he fighting for? Other Marines? If he is not fighting for the civilians, then he is a disgrace. When I was in the army I did view civilians as weak, but I did not hate them. That is who I was serving. "Marines" like your friend are the ones who would gleefully turn their weapons upon us at the behest of Obama and what does that say about him?
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's Obama. There's a reason his Commander in Chief is a civilian. As to his other remarks, has he attracted the attention of mental health professionals where he's stationed?
    That I don't know, but prior to joining he whipped himself--He is a very old school Catholic--He is extremely religious. He has a lot of Crusader and medieval iconography, and one time we got into an argument about the Crusades and (I've done a lot of reading on the Medieval era as it was a craze of mine at one time) told him about the Children's Crusade--He felt that was a great event and the medieval era was a better time socially and in other ways. He just has a VERY old school mindset. I have an old school mindset but my mind set is more of a 1950s/1960s sort of mindset, whereas his is an 1300s mindset.
     

  8. #8  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Marines have it tough bro. They sustain psychological trauma unlike what any civilians can understand. So they have some issues, they're humans and they're humans in extraordinary circumstances, it should be expected.
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    That I don't know, but prior to joining he whipped himself--He is a very old school Catholic--He is extremely religious. He has a lot of Crusader and medieval iconography, and one time we got into an argument about the Crusades and (I've done a lot of reading on the Medieval era as it was a craze of mine at one time) told him about the Children's Crusade--He felt that was a great event and the medieval era was a better time socially and in other ways. He just has a VERY old school mindset. I have an old school mindset but my mind set is more of a 1950s/1960s sort of mindset, whereas his is an 1300s mindset.
    You say he is in training, if that is so, he will be very disappointed in the Marines as they do not believe as he does. Marines, soldiers, airman and sailors serve to protect the civilians that don't.
     

  10. #10  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    On the other hand though...lol
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •