Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Arpaio gets inmates moving on electricity-generating cycles 
    Ya just gotta love this guy! :D

Go Joe!

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is implementing a new inmate program at Tent City Jail called “Pedal Vision.”

The program uses inmate-powered cycles to generate electricity for televisions.

Reports say Arpaio’s recent visit to Tent City inspired the idea, when he saw that many of the inmates were overweight.

The stationary bikes are customized so that as an inmate pedals, a connected television is powered once the cycle generates 12 volts of electricity.

One hour of pedaling equals one hour of television viewing for the inmates, according to Arpaio.

Arpaio said the inmates will only be able to watch television in the television room if they choose to pedal.

"I started with the females because they seemed more receptive to the idea," Arpaio said. "The only exercise the females get right now is speed-walking around the tents yard and few are doing that. This gives them a reason to get moving and a way to burn up to 500 calories an hour. They won't be charged a monthly gym fee but they will have to sign a contract."

Sheriff Arpaio debuted the pilot program on April 1.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

:) Nice.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Actually, I've often wished for that kind of device in my own home. I don't have a very high regard for TV but there are a couple of shows that I do watch. Being forced to exercise while doing so seems like a fair trade. While your brain is dissolving, your body can be rebuilding. :D

A great idea. I wonder if some of his detractors will find a way to make this look bad for him.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    A great idea. I wonder if some of his detractors will find a way to make this look bad for him.
    Well, Sonna should be along shortly. :p

Sonnabend
    Ginge, with due respect, that's unfair and untrue.

My issues with Arpaio are as I have stated them, and they are well documented. This kind of thing, I find no problem with. Good exercise.

What I do have an issue with, and I have stated it before, is that the man in general is no better than a common thug.

My points speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Ginge, with due respect, that's unfair and untrue.
    LOL! You were along shortly. :p

Well I guess there won't be much TV in the summer time...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

I liked his comment about starting with the female inmates, and how they were pretty positive about it. I don't have a problem with it, either, because it is good for them. Nobody has the right to television. The ability to send and receive mail, yes.

My thing with Sheriff Joe is that he runs a county jail, and a good number of the inmates are there awaiting trial and they haven't been convicted yet.

Excellent idea. Parents should use these on their kids to generate power used by their televisions, computers, and game consoles. Of course they wouldn't generate all of the power to run those, but making them work for it not only instills a work-for-play ethic, it also saves money and keeps them healthy.

Let's hope this catches on.