Thread: Japanese Fear Old Guy Smell.

1. #1 Japanese Fear Old Guy Smell. 
    Ageing Japanese men worry about body odour
    Tue 5 Aug 2008, 1:20 GMT

[-] Text [+] By Naoto Okamura

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese men are worrying about more than mere sweat as summer temperatures rise: talk of body odour caused by ageing is adding to anxiety in a land that prizes being squeaky clean.

Being Japan, it has also sparked a range of new products, from odour-eating suits to special chewing gum.

"My wife tells me that I stink," said company manager Atsushi Asami, 47, interviewed on a typically hot and humid Tokyo street. "I am concerned about ageing odour and know there are anti-ageing odour products, but have not bought them myself."

An on-line survey by CBIC, a Tokyo-based company that sells deodorant products, found that 89 percent of 700 Japanese women in their 20s and 30s found men smelly in commuter trains.

Shiseido Research Centre, a laboratory affiliated with Japanese cosmetics maker Shiseido, sparked the trend to anti-odour products for older men when it discovered eight years ago a substance that it named "kareishu", or ageing odour.

The lab identified nonenal, a type of fatty acid, as the cause, saying unsaturated fatty acids and oxidative decomposition increase from around 40 years of age.

"Increasingly, people are becoming concerned about their body odour," said Tsuneaki Gomi, a plastic surgeon who runs a clinic on body odour in Tokyo.

"Japan is becoming more of a cleanliness and odourless society. And the name, kareishu, fits right in with that trend of the times," Gomi said.
    You'd think that people so obsessed with bathing would have discovered antiperspirant.

Elder Odor

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You'd think that people so obsessed with bathing would have discovered antiperspirant.

Elder Odor
    As I remember they,the Japanese, use some sort of cinnamon scented salve under the arms after the hot tubs.
    The ordor they are referring too is unique to older men and isn't exactly from a lack of bathing !
    Old men have an unique Odor that comes with aging.My Grandfather and a few older uncles
    smelled of aging.Older woman don't seem to smell of old age but that could be because of
    perfumes or soaps they all use.

Seriously? What does 'Old Guy' smell smell like? Lawn clippings and Centrum Senior? :p

Banned
    Seriously? What does 'Old Guy' smell smell like? Lawn clippings and Centrum Senior? :p
    If you have ever been to a nursing home, you will know that musty smell.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If you have ever been to a nursing home, you will know that musty smell.
    They smell like pee?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    More like old clothes in a closet !Maybe from sweat,the same shirts worn for several days .