Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    in liberal fantasy world semantics matter?

    How about in the actual adult world of Law semantics matter. If we're talking about this as a legal constitutional matter then yes semantics are very important.

    Semantics matter, this isn't about your feelings, this isn't an episode of Jerry Springer, the actual words of the actual law matter.
    You are simply too stupid to breathe. How do you manage to exist without that huge gov't titty sticking out of your mouth?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No, but arguing that a tax is unconstitutional simply because you have to pay it doesn't work.
    No one is arguing that the tax is unconstitutional just because someone has to pay it. The argument is that it is unconstitutional in that it penalizes people for not consuming a good/service - which is clearly unconstitutional.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    No one is arguing that the tax is unconstitutional just because someone has to pay it. The argument is that it is unconstitutional in that it penalizes people for not consuming a good/service - which is clearly unconstitutional.
    No. There are taxes and tax credits available for renovating your home to make it more energy efficient. There are taxes and tax credits available for having children. There are tax credits if your children are in college.

    These aren't "penalties" for not doing these things, and just like these are all perfectly constitutional, so is this new tax.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No. There are taxes and tax credits available for renovating your home to make it more energy efficient. There are taxes and tax credits available for having children. There are tax credits if your children are in college.

    These aren't "penalties" for not doing these things, and just like these are all perfectly constitutional, so is this new tax.
    No one is being FORCED to do those things. No one is being PENALIZED for not doing them. But if I chose not to consume health insurance - I will be penalized.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    No one is being FORCED to do those things. No one is being PENALIZED for not doing them. But if I chose not to consume health insurance - I will be penalized.
    No, if you choose to not buy health insurance you don't qualify for the insurance tax credit.

    If you choose to not have children you don't get those tax credits either.

    If your kids don't go to college you don't get those tax credits either.

    If you don't make your home more energy efficient you don't get those tax credits either.

    In every single case, you have to pay higher taxes if you don't qualify for the credit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member stsinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No, if you choose to not buy health insurance you don't qualify for the insurance tax credit.

    If you choose to not have children you don't get those tax credits either.

    If your kids don't go to college you don't get those tax credits either.

    If you don't make your home more energy efficient you don't get those tax credits either.

    In every single case, you have to pay higher taxes if you don't qualify for the credit.
    You logic is so twisted.. You learned well from Clinton-"I"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No, if you choose to not buy health insurance you don't qualify for the insurance tax credit.

    If you choose to not have children you don't get those tax credits either.

    If your kids don't go to college you don't get those tax credits either.

    If you don't make your home more energy efficient you don't get those tax credits either.

    In every single case, you have to pay higher taxes if you don't qualify for the credit.
    FUCKTARD - the other credits you mention are credits on EXISTING taxes - a lessening of the tax burden for those who qualify. Obamacare contains a tax created to penalize those who don't want health insurance.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no-man's land in Texas
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    What is unconstitutional, specifically, about this health care bill? What argument should be made to the supreme court?

    Keep in mind that the "mandate" isn't a criminal law, it's not a criminal offense to not buy insurance, it's simply a new tax that everyone pays unless you have insurance then you get a credit.

    What exactly is unconstitutional about it?
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
    DUmb-ass!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No. There are taxes and tax credits available for renovating your home to make it more energy efficient. There are taxes and tax credits available for having children. There are tax credits if your children are in college.

    These aren't "penalties" for not doing these things, and just like these are all perfectly constitutional, so is this new tax.
    If shit was brains, you would not even get a smell.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    She's almost surely going to loose her seat. I gotta hand it to her though, she did what she felt was right, what she felt was best for the people, even though it was unpopular and caused her to sacrifice her own job.
    That excuse wont save her. She knew what was right, and did it anyway, ignoring the very real anger of her constituents. She had ample warning.

    Karma's a bitch.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •