Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1 IRS could tap refunds for health insurance penalties 
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,374
    Stevie Wonder could have seen this one coming...

    (Reuters) - The Internal Revenue Service could tap individual tax returns to collect fines against people who fail to buy health insurance as required under recently enacted healthcare legislation, the U.S. tax commissioner said on Monday.
    Most individuals are required to get health insurance under the new law, or face penalties that would be phased in over time. By 2016, people without coverage could see fines of 2 percent of their income.

    Subsidies would help poorer people buy coverage, and states would set up exchanges to allow individuals and small groups shop for insurance.

    People who do not comply would be levied penalties, and if they don't pay them the penalties could be taken out of their tax refunds.

    "There has been some insinuation about how we are going to approach our job," IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman said after speaking at the National Press Club.
    Under the new law, the IRS cannot seize assets or levy fines, so Shulman said refunds were the most obvious option to collect penalties.

    The new law aims to expand coverage to about 32 million uninsured Americans.
    Whole story here

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    The S.C. in all likelyhood will throw out the provision that everyone has to purchase health insurance. If they do not, the government can force us to buy or sell anything.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Well if a new tax is introduced, unless you qualify for some credit, of course it's going to come out of your refund because your refund is the money leftover after paying your taxes.

    New tax = smaller refund.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Well if a new tax is introduced, unless you qualify for some credit, of course it's going to come out of your refund because your refund is the money leftover after paying your taxes.

    New tax = smaller refund.
    They can imprison the ones that wont pay taxes and sell their organs when more cooperative members of society need them!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They can imprison the ones that wont pay taxes and sell their organs when more cooperative members of society need them!
    I don't know about stealing organs but yes you can be punished if you don't pay your taxes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    No Free Lunch.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

    You Say The Battle Is Over
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I don't know about stealing organs but yes you can be punished if you don't pay your taxes.
    They wouldn't be stealing your organs! Don't you know the government owns your body now? Right down to your little pecker!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I don't know about stealing organs but yes you can be punished if you don't pay your taxes.

    You can be punished if you don't pay your taxes, unless you are Obama's Treasury Secretary, Charlie Rangel, etc....


    However, you can be punished at the polls when you trample the will of the people.
    Last edited by Articulate_Ape; 04-06-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I don't know about stealing organs but yes you can be punished if you don't pay your taxes.
    I'll gladly take my punishment when Tim Gietner, Barney Fag and Charlie Rangel take theirs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I'll gladly take my punishment when Tim Gietner, Barney Fag and Charlie Rangel take theirs.
    GMTA.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •