Thread: Where is this?

Hybrid View

1. #1 Where is this? 
    Banned
    This is a photo of my maternal grandpa sometime during WWII while he was in the Army. The architecture in the background has a very Oriental look to it, yet we know for a fact he never served in the Pacific theatre. He served (prior to the war) guarding the Panama Canal at Fort Kobbe and then in European theatre in the Rhineland and Northern France campaigns. He was also stationed off duty at the Presidio of San Francisco. So I'm just tryin to get an idea of where this might've been taken.

I'm going for Panama. Check out these barracks at Fort Sherman on the Atlantic side.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/131...x?vhost=travel
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    I'm going for Panama. Check out these barracks at Fort Sherman on the Atlantic side.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/131...x?vhost=travel
    Thanks! So these are from his first years in the army. Hmm. He was in Panama from 1939 to 1942 or 1943 if I remember correctly.

That seems to make sense if you date the truck and the auto in the background. He's also wearing a tropical uniform of the same period.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over