Thread: I Got A Job!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I Got A Job!! 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    A very possible Best Of...

njlib (624 posts) Tue Apr-06-10 06:57 PM

Original messageI GOT A JOB!!

I'm a newly licensed 43 year old LPN and it's been tough. Everyone wants experience, but how do you get experience if nobody's willing to hire you? I did an internet search yesterday, one of many I've done since finishing school, and just started calling. The first place I called put me through to the HR lady, who was very frazzled. I asked if they hired LPN's, she said YES and then immediately told me that it was crazy there and I should come in at 10 the following morning. The conversation went so fast, I didn't even get a chance to ask if they were new grad friendly.

So, this morning I got there at 9:30 and she took me right in. At first, she seemed put off that I didn't have experience and I offered to leave...I said I'd understand if she didn't want to waste her time. She said she had already set me up to speak to the director of nursing, so I stayed. We talked a little and then I went to see the director. She said that she remembers what it was like being new and how hard it was to get a job. She also said that everyone just needs one break, that she liked the fact I was "mature", and that having no experience meant she could train me her way. We had a nice chat and she said she'd let me know by Friday or Monday of next week because I was their first interview. She had to call the corporate office for new grad salary info and said she'd call me later to let me know what the salary would be.

I got the call about an hour ago. First she mentioned the salary and then said "Oh, and I'm also calling to offer you the job"!! I thought I was going to fall off the chair!! I thanked her profusely and she said they'd let me know when my background check was finished and when orientation would start. I told her she just made my year because TOMORROW I file for my last unemployment check, unless they pass another extension!

Sorry to ramble, but I'm so, so relieved...and want to let everyone else know to hang in there! I hope everyone out there who's in my position ends up getting the kind of call I got today!! I hope everyone else finds the person that'll give them a chance and I hope that those in the position to do so will give someone a chance, that break they've been waiting months or years for!

Thanks for listening to me!
    Well...except for the part I highlighted in RED. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Sonnabend
    ! I thanked her profusely and she said they'd let me know when my background check was finished and when orientation would start.
    He'll be waiting a long time. Something tells me the check won't be kind to him.

Most DUers are potheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    He'll be waiting a long time. Something tells me the check won't be kind to him.

Most DUers are potheads.

That doesn't necessarily translate to a criminal record.

There is a need for nurses-unfortunately, nursing schools are no longer hospital-based, and more university based, so graduates are not as ready for the job at graduation as they used to be. My mom went to Harper Hospital School of Nursing, which is no more (Wayne State University has the RN/BSN program, now). She lived in a dorm across the street from the hospital (now an abandoned building, not far from my office). When she wasn't in class, or officially on "off time", she was working in the hospital, on call, and basically a slave to the nurses who were already employed there. When she graduated, she was ready to work in any RN capacity, because of all the hands on training she got just by helping the nurses and performing assistant roles.

My mom might be crazy, but she was a very good nurse who knew her business.

This has to go down as one of the biggest bouncys so far this year.

The very title of the thread says it's all a lie! A DUmmy gets a job???? :eek:
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Sonnabend
    That doesn't necessarily translate to a criminal record.
    Any nurse that tests positive for any illegal drug, should be fired and deregistered for LIFE.

PERIOD.

BOUNCY
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Well, good for her (or him).

The need for LPNs is so great that barring a problem with the background check, njlib should be employable for life. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Any nurse that tests positive for any illegal drug, should be fired and deregistered for LIFE.

PERIOD.

1. They still have to test positive. She might not be a pothead, and even if she is an occasional user, it still might not show up in a test. Even if she smokes pot every day, there are products that can eliminate traces from urine.

2. There are procedures and rehab programs geared specifically for medical professionals with substance abuse problems. I read an excellent autobiography about a brilliant, drug-addicted doctor. The book is called White Rabbit and it is written by Dr. Martha Morrison. She had a lot of steps she had to go through to get her license reinstated. She ended up working as a psychiatrist who specializes in substance abuse treatment, of course. But I would guess that even after she complied with all the procedures to get her license back, she still had her peers watching over her shoulder for a long time. She was writing scrips for herself, growing her own pot, shooting illegal cocaine and heroin and is really lucky to still be alive.

I'd certainly rather be treated by a MJ smoker than an Alcoholic.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

I find this hard to imagine. They must not have been looking very hard because all I see the most want ads for are for nurses.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.