Thread: Race Relations

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Race Relations 
    Banned
    I've noticed something since the election...I think race relations, specifically amongst blacks and whites, have significantly degraded. No, it isn't anywhere nearly as bad as the mid-late 60s was..But I see it approaching the level of the late 80s- early 90s (around '87-93) tension if it continues. It seems there is a division amongst the two races that, once buried, is starting to come to the surface once again.

Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    I've noticed something since the election...I think race relations, specifically amongst blacks and whites, have significantly degraded. No, it isn't anywhere nearly as bad as the mid-late 60s was..But I see it approaching the level of the late 80s- early 90s (around '87-93) tension if it continues. It seems there is a division amongst the two races that, once buried, is starting to come to the surface once again.

Just an observation.
    And I wonder why that is? Must be because whites are racist, right?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Here is what the driving force behind it is. There are those that made their name and money off of racism. Garnered great power because of it. Now they demand to be important and their arguments are silly. Every single instance of percieved racism can be quieted by this simple statement. "We have a black President, Don't we? Are you aware that he was elected because 4 times as many white people than black people voted for him?"

That is it. The white people of the US gave the black people a black President. Every single claim of black folks being downtrodden abd oppressed by white people falls flat after that.

The idea of a black man being president still just doesn't sit with the outdated mentality of many old, southern white people.

Granted this is not representative of all or even most white people, you've got to remember that a lot of people were just raised in a different time, with different beliefs, and don't take kindly to things changing.

Race relations aren't nearly like they were in the 80's and early 90's, there's just a final last-breath backlash from the bitter, old, bigots of the past.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I didn't say that, did I?
    I'm white, moron, and I don't feel guilt. It's both sides' fault, with blacks acting like they are the shit because the president is black. I remember hearing black people in my school at the time after the election saying now ''we'' (meaning whites) would be at the back of the bus.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The idea of a black man being president still just doesn't sit with the outdated mentality of many old, southern white people.

Granted this is not representative of all or even most white people, you've got to remember that a lot of people were just raised in a different time, with different beliefs, and don't take kindly to things changing.

Race relations aren't nearly like they were in the 80's and early 90's, there's just a final last-breath backlash from the bitter, old, bigots of the past.
    I think it's the blacks driving it more now than the whites.
    And it was the blacks driving it in the 80s and 90s too. Spike Lee painting all white people as racists and hateful bigots, etc.
    In the 50s, and 60s, yes, white people were the driving force behind racism and mistreatment, and yes before that too. I don't feel guilty, personally. Know why? My family never owned slaves. My family, Irish and Italians, were mistreated when they came here. We got over it. My grandfather served in the army in the 50s with black men and got into a fierce bar fight defending his black friend and fellow soldier who was killed a ******. My godfather is black.

BULL SHIT!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

There's bigotry in the South. I suggest you take a look at Boston, Chicago and a few other northern towns though, before singling out Dixie. In fact, race relations in the south are vastly better than in many areas north of the Mason Dixon line.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Here is what the driving force behind it is. There are those that made their name and money off of racism. Garnered great power because of it. Now they demand to be important and their arguments are silly. Every single instance of percieved racism can be quieted by this simple statement. "We have a black President, Don't we? Are you aware that he was elected because 4 times as many white people than black people voted for him?"

That is it. The white people of the US gave the black people a black President. Every single claim of black folks being downtrodden abd oppressed by white people falls flat after that.
    Only if you are looking at white people as a solid homogeneous group and black people as a solid homogeneous group.

That's the sort of thinking that spurs racism.

Firstly, there are simply more white people than any other group and far more white people than any other group when it comes to voting, so of course more of them voted for Obama.

There's a big difference between a white graduate student of sociology and a white truck driver attending a Sarah Palin rally. There's a difference between a white high school science teacher and a white restaurant owner.

There is obviously, undeniably, a strong racist wave rearing it's ugly head but that's expected from such a drastic change in the perceived power structure (lmao like anything really changed though)

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    BULL SHIT!
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.