Thread: Thrill of the chaste: The truth about Gandhi's sex life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Thrill of the chaste: The truth about Gandhi's sex life 
    Thrill of the chaste: The truth about Gandhi's sex life

With religious chastity under scrutiny, a new book throws light on Gandhi's practice of sleeping next to naked girls. In fact, he was sex-mad, writes biographer Jad Adams.

Wednesday, 7 April 2010
    It was no secret that Mohandas Gandhi had an unusual sex life. He spoke constantly of sex and gave detailed, often provocative, instructions to his followers as to how to they might best observe chastity. And his views were not always popular; "abnormal and unnatural" was how the first Prime Minister of independent India, Jawaharlal Nehru, described Gandhi's advice to newlyweds to stay celibate for the sake of their souls.

But was there something more complex than a pious plea for chastity at play in Gandhi's beliefs, preachings and even his unusual personal practices (which included, alongside his famed chastity, sleeping naked next to nubile, naked women to test his restraint)? In the course of researching my new book on Gandhi, going through a hundred volumes of his complete works and many tomes of eye-witness material, details became apparent which add up to a more bizarre sexual history.

Much of this material was known during his lifetime, but was distorted or suppressed after his death during the process of elevating Gandhi into the "Father of the Nation" Was the Mahatma, in fact, as the pre-independence prime minister of the Indian state of Travancore called him, "a most dangerous, semi-repressed sex maniac"?

(snip)

It can't, one imagines, can have helped with the "involuntary discharges" which Gandhi complained of experiencing more frequently since his return to India. He had an almost magical belief in the power of semen: "One who conserves his vital fluid acquires unfailing power," he said.

Meanwhile, it seemed that challenging times required greater efforts of spiritual fortitude, and for that, more attractive women were required: Sushila, who in 1947 was 33, was now due to be supplanted in the bed of the 77-year-old Gandhi by a woman almost half her age. While in Bengal to see what comfort he could offer in times of inter-communal violence in the run-up to independence, Gandhi called for his 18-year-old grandniece Manu to join him and sleep with him. "We both may be killed by the Muslims," he told her, "and must put our purity to the ultimate test, so that we know that we are offering the purest of sacrifices, and we should now both start sleeping naked."
    Interesting. Read the whole thing.

Independent

Banned
    Ah. The tearing down of more non-Christian figures. I mean forget what Gandhi did good, it doesn't matter, what he did in his bedroom matters.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Ah. The tearing down of more non-Christian figures. I mean forget what Gandhi did good, it doesn't matter, what he did in his bedroom matters.
    Right on crapinthemiddle only Christian conservatives should have any accountability!

Hmm.

I don't know. I'm not going to write off the accusations, because the writer has statements in Gandhi's own words that he did sleep next to these women to prove he was able to do so and not have sex with them.

On the other hand, I also have always respected Gandhi for his nonviolent tactics.

What other non-Christians have been torn down over the past 50 years or so?

Banned
    If only Ghandi had been into little boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What other non-Christians have been torn down over the past 50 years or so?

Che Guevera? Louis Farrakhan?
    Of course, there's justification for tearing each of them down.

You know, when cult leaders lay with the girls to prove their ability to withstand temptation, they usually just use it as a ruse to seduce the girls into sex and convince them afterwards it was God's will that they had sex with God's messenger. What Gandhi is being accused of is very close, except it seems that he didn't give in to the temptation to have sex, but enjoyed looking and touching the women.

Maybe there's some kind of cultural precedent for that kind of thing in India. This is a country where less than 100 years ago, a widow was expected to jump onto her husband's funeral pyre and burn with him.

I didn't really post this to make any kind of statements about Hindus or Hinduism. I posted it because Gandhi was a famous figure who has had a good deal of mythologizing done to his memory.

Yes,
    I can see how all liberals might worship Ghandi.
    This is the same guy that said the following:

I do not want to see the allies defeated. But I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed. Englishmen are showing the strength that Empire builders must have. I expect them to rise much higher than they seem to be doing
    as well as this

appeal for cessation of hostilities ... because war is bad in essence. You want to kill Nazism. Your soldiers are doing the same work of destruction as the Germans. The only difference is that perhaps yours are not as thorough as the Germans ... I venture to present you with a nobler and a braver way, worthy of the bravest soldiers. I want you to fight Nazism without arms or ... with non-violent arms. I would like you to lay down the arms you have as being useless for saving you or humanity. You will invite Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini to take what they want of the countries you call your possessions. Let them take possession of your beautiful island, with your many beautiful buildings. You will give all these but neither your souls, nor your minds. If these gentlemen choose to occupy your homes, you will vacate them. If they do not give you free passage out, you will allow yourself, man, woman and child, to be slaughtered, but you will refuse to owe allegiance to them ... I am telling His Excellency the Viceroy that my services are at the disposal of His Majesty's Government, should they consider them of any practical use in advancing the object of my appeal.

I have little to no respect for him.

I have respect for other Hindus as well as Hinduism in it's whole. To each his own.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I really admire Ghandi. I think he sets an excellent example and I'm going to try to follow it.

Okay ladies of CU, Bubba needs volunteers. I'm developing my chastity and need your help to strengthen my spiritual fortitude. :)

All female CU'ers who would be willing to sleep naked next to me as I pursue this rigorous spiritual discipline please step up. :)

I prefer one naked CU Lady on each side of me. I promise I'll be good and you'll remasin chased. :)

Spooning is okay, right? :)
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!