1. #1 I called the Secret Service on a wingnut threatening Obama 
    Sonnabend
    Jack_Dawson (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list

Edited on Fri Apr-09-10 12:13 AM by Jack_Dawson on his Facebook. "We need to take him OUT! BY ANY MEANS!" he said Friday night at 10:30 (one can only speculate whether alcohol played a factor).

I called my local SS field office on Saturday. Sent them screenshots. They followed up with him, and he mysteriously removed the OP. But that wasn't good enough for the Secret Service. They called me again today to send them more screenshots - to see if he had redacted his comment. He had not.

Then about an hour ago, he posted this:

"I suggest REMOVING Obama from office through legal, lawful and Constitutional methods ONLY! I DO NOT AND WOULD NOT ADVOCATE VIOLENCE!

If you see / hear something similar, I suggest contacting your district office. They do follow up.

Some people have very short memories

Do not post messages that could be construed as advocating harm or death to the president or other high-ranking official in the United States government. In the case of the president, do not even post jokes, as the Secret Service is not known for its sense of humor.

Fortunately the members of DU are generally level-headed and respectful of the rules, so we have not had any problems with this issue in the past. But today we have had two separate inquiries from the Secret Service about posts on our website.

The inquiries involved three posts by two separate visitors to our website. Incidentally, both of the people in question were banned last week -- before we were aware that the Secret Service was looking into their postings. I'm not going to go into the details of the posts in question, except to say that all three of them would have been covered by the passage from the Democratic Underground rules that I posted above. (One of these posts was deleted by the moderators, two were not.)

The United States Secret Service has asked Democratic Underground to hand over any identifying or personal information we have about the two individuals in question.

HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

The administrators of Democratic Underground take the privacy of our visitors very seriously. Even though the two people in question had already been banned from our website, we will not hand over any personal information from them or from any of our visitors unless we are legally compelled to do so.

Sonnabend
    And my my what do we have here

fighttotheend (290 posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Apr-16-05 12:59 PM
    Original message
    Secret Service Investigates Art Showing Gun To Bush's Head

CHICAGO - A controversial art exhibit in Chicago drew some startling visitors last week -- two U.S. Secret Service agents.

Perhaps the most controversial display at Columbia College's Glass Curtain Gallery, "Patriot Act" is a sheet of mock U.S. stamps showing President George W. Bush with a gun to his head.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the agents wanted the names and phone numbers of the artists at the show, titled "Axis of Evil -- The Secret History Of Sin."

Al Brandtner, the Chicago artist who made "Patriot Act," could not be reached for comment.

A college spokesman said the art school supports freedom of expression.

HOW DO YOU TAKE THIS ART, A THREAT TO THE PRES. OR JUST A MAN SHOWING HIS EXPRESSION FOR A BAD JOB THE PRES. IS DOING?
    buff2 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sat Apr-16-05 01:02 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. I have to applaud the artist.

At least he isn't brain dead like the idiot's sheep.
    Hypocrites

Seriously? The Secret Service contacted you to see if he took his comments off of facebook? They couldn't do that themselves?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Seriously? The Secret Service contacted you to see if he took his comments off of facebook? They couldn't do that themselves?
    Well of course not djones!!! I mean, we're talking about a member of
    DemocraticUnderground here! The SS needs his/her help because it's well known
    what Super Geniueseseseseses they all are. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

I called bullshit at that exact same moment.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I called bullshit at that exact same moment.

Agreed. On top of that, does anyone call the Secret Service over something as vague as that statement, anyways?

Now, if the guy had posted specific plans-like what weapon he was going to use, how he was going to travel to DC (or wherever he wants to do it), etc., that would be something to report.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Agreed. On top of that, does anyone call the Secret Service over something as vague as that statement, anyways?

Now, if the guy had posted specific plans-like what weapon he was going to use, how he was going to travel to DC (or wherever he wants to do it), etc., that would be something to report.
    Someone did it with DU. Got them investigated a time or two.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

The DUmmy calling the SS is about as believable as the possiblity of Al Gore giving the Nobel Prize money back.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Well you see,*snicker* one of the DUmmies explained it this way*giggle*. A private citizen can take screen shots*snork* but the SS would need to get a search warrant and stuff*bawwaahhaaaaa*, so that's how that works.*whew, wipes tear*

jeff47 (294 posts) Fri Apr-09-10 06:31 PM
    Response to Reply #40
    66. They have 2 ways to get the information.
    #1) Ask the OP to send 'em more screenshots. It's quick and very easy.
    #2) Get a warrant, take it to FB. Have FB's legal team review the warrant, then wait while they retrieve the information and send it back to the Secret Service.

Since the agents probably expected this guy wasn't a serious threat, and thus no legal case would follow, they went with the easy route. That doesn't mean the "hard" route is not available to them.
    Has to be a mole, nobody could be this much of a babbling MORON.