Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I would go batshit crazy if I didn't work. Even if I had kids, I would work. If I won the lottery, I would work. There is just not that much interesting to me about keeping a house or "volunteering" my time.
    Amen, sister, Amen.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I would go batshit crazy if I didn't work. Even if I had kids, I would work. If I won the lottery, I would work. There is just not that much interesting to me about keeping a house or "volunteering" my time.
    It takes all kinds. However, those of us who are interested in greasing the social and community wheels have our place. A world composed of workaholics is my big nightmare. There is a place for livelihood and careerism but it can't ever take the place of other types of real social interaction.

Most people will never be outstanding in their fields (male or female), they will never make a mark on the history pages or even the financial pages, they will never do anything outstanding or even notable in their careers. That's just the way it is. Paying attention to more basic needs meets a hunger that does last a lifetime even if it doesn't reach a million people.

Nobody ever whined about missing a few meetings or promotions on their death beds but a lot have whined about neglecting their families and friends. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It takes all kinds. However, those of us who are interested in greasing the social and community wheels have our place. A world composed of workaholics is my big nightmare. There is a place for livelihood and careerism but it can't ever take the place of other types of real social interaction.

Most people will never be outstanding in their fields (male or female), they will never make a mark on the history pages or even the financial pages, they will never do anything outstanding or even notable in their careers. That's just the way it is. Paying attention to more basic needs meets a hunger that does last a lifetime even if it doesn't reach a million people.

Nobody ever whined about missing a few meetings or promotions on their death beds but a lot have whined about neglecting their families and friends. ;)
    I agree that it takes all kinds. But the gardening, making meals on wheels for deals, and vacuuming to victory is just not my thing. I don't like homemaking, and while I absolutely love kids, staying home with them 24 hours a day is the 5th circle of hell for me.

Like anyone else, work can absolutely exhaust me and get on my nerves...but I honestly can't see myself not doing it. I always wanted to retire at 50, and still might consider it, but I have no idea what else I would do. Travelling the world is nice...when it's a vacation, not for me as a lifestyle.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PB2012 View Post
    Linda, I understand it is hard for you to imagine what you would do. That is probably because you have children. SO you are used to raising and taking care of them.

Think about what you did when you were a child during summer, you didnt have a job, school was out. What did you do?
    I played with my sister, my friends, made up games.
    but I also remember what my mother did while we were at school. Watched her soaps, met with friends, scrapbooked.
    No, I don't have children. I never wanted them, and am lucky to live in a time when we have the technology to help us avoid what we don't want.
    I'm considerably older than you, so I probably had much more freedom during the summer; I left the house after breakfast and wasn't home again until dinnertime.
    My mother also worked full time. She was a teacher, my father was a college professor, and we all had nice long summers, including a house at the beach for six weeks or so every year.