Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I definitely agree with the second sentence. The first sentence is harder for me to process. I live in a well-run home (thanks to both of us) and if I didn't work I can't imagine what I would do with myself. I'm on my second sick day today, and I can't wait to get back to the office! I do very "homey" things - knitting, cooking, things like that, but home would be far less of a refuge without two incomes.
    See, I'm just the opposite - I can't imagine how anybody could possibly be at a loss for interesting things to do outside the workplace. I only work for the money. While my work is entertaining and serves the public good in a very direct way, there's simply no way I'd do it for free.

It's vaguely possible that social interactions at my home might make a lasting (and favorable) impression on guests and friends but 2 weeks after I resign from work, my legacy there will vanish. I've seen it happen many times.

Power CUer
    Oh, I'm not working for a "legacy" either; I'm also in it for the money, which fortunately is very good, for both of us. I won't lack for anything to do in retirement; my salary helps to ensure that our retirement will be very comfortable.

I'd be interested in feedback from the men here; if there are no kids in the house, are you okay with working so your wife can have a comfortable life at home? Lunch with the girls at the country club, etc., etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'd be interested in feedback from the men here; if there are no kids in the house, are you okay with working so your wife can have a comfortable life at home? Lunch with the girls at the country club, etc., etc.?
    When I have stayed home, lunch with the girls was a rare treat. However, I have scraped, powerwashed, and painted houses, installed insulation, sewn clothing, tended a large and highly productive veggie garden, and had time to take my MIL to various appointments so my husband didn't have to take off work.

My efforts certainly made his life more comfortable in a number of ways. There is something to be said for being able to relax on the weekend.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    When I have stayed home, lunch with the girls was a rare treat. However, I have scraped, powerwashed, and painted houses, installed insulation, sewn clothing.
    I think I have to lie down after just reading that. I'd definitely prefer a full time job to doing any of that. :eek:

She would adapt.
    You have to look at it like this, stay at home wives do not know what it is like to have children, therefore they figure out differnet hobbies to do.
    If all you know is a home with kids, you have NO idea what it is like to be without your children, because most of your time is consumed by the children.

Linda, I understand it is hard for you to imagine what you would do. That is probably because you have children. SO you are used to raising and taking care of them.

Think about what you did when you were a child during summer, you didnt have a job, school was out. What did you do?
    I played with my sister, my friends, made up games.
    but I also remember what my mother did while we were at school. Watched her soaps, met with friends, scrapbooked.

It is hard for us to imagine anything different because we are so used to the routine that we are in now.

If your routine includes a job and kids, you probably shouldnt consider switching to a stay at home wife.

Quote Originally Posted by PB2012 View Post
    Linda, I understand it is hard for you to imagine what you would do. That is probably because you have children. SO you are used to raising and taking care of them.

(snip)

If your routine includes a job and kids, you probably shouldnt consider switching to a stay at home wife.

No offense, dude, but you don't know Linda Numbers very well. :D

What does a woman with no kids do all day if she stays home? How much can you possibly cook and clean for two people?
    **** Obama and **** you too.

A woman can do whatever she wants while she is at home.

Why do you think the only thing a woman can do is cook and clean?

Quote Originally Posted by PB2012 View Post
    A woman can do whatever she wants while she is at home.

Why do you think the only thing a woman can do is cook and clean?
    Well I would hope that if she has no kids to raise and no job she is doing SOMETHING to contribute to the family. Isn't it supposed to be a PARTNERSHIP?
    **** Obama and **** you too.

So you are stating that it is the mans job to make all the money and the womans job is to feed him and clean up after him?