1. #1 Mother Returns Adopted Boy To Russia. Alone. 
    Mom sends adopted boy back to Russia with note: I no longer wish to parent this child

By Lindsay Goldwert
    Daily News Writer

Friday, April 9th 2010, 2:37 PM

Two nations are in an uproar over an American woman who returned her adopted son to his native Russia as though he was a defective item to be shipped back to a department store.

Seemingly happily matched at a Siberian orphanage last year, authorities were stunned to find that Torry-Ann Hansen of Tennessee sent her adopted 7-year-old son Artem Saveliev back home to Russia by himself with a note demanding the adoption be annulled, the U.K. Daily Mail reports.

The pale sandy-haired boy got off the plane in Moscow with no idea why he had been sent back.

According to the letter he had in his hand, Hansen accused the orphanage of lying to her about Artem’s mental condition and cared only about finding someone to adopt him.

“He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues/behaviors,” she wrote. “After giving my best to this child, I am sorry to say that for the safety of my family, friends and myself, I no longer wish to parent this child.”

The Russians deny her claims, admitting that the boy was stubborn but that his only disability was that he was "flat-footed."

Officials say they are appalled that a woman would take a child all the way from Siberia to Tennessee, promise him a new life, change his last name to hers, only to change her mind and ship him back.
    Okay, this is pretty harsh. At the same time, I know quite a few people who have done foreign adoptions and they don't always work out well. I'm not saying that children should have some kind of money-back guarantee but there probably needs to be a way to resolve an issue like this.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...#ixzz0kdA8Jhpe

So you adopt a kid like Wei Wei and you can't stand the little bastard, what do you do?

Do like you do with firearms? Lose them in a tragic boating accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Okay, this is pretty harsh. At the same time, I know quite a few people who have done foreign adoptions and they don't always work out well. I'm not saying that children should have some kind of money-back guarantee but there probably needs to be a way to resolve an issue like this.

When you adopt a kid through a church agency or an international organization that also has offices in the US (not just in the country you are adopting the child from), you are given some options for assistance, as far as mental health services and family counseling are concerned. This sometimes includes respite care, where the kid goes to stay for a few days with another family while the mom gets her head together and comes up with a plan to deal with his behavior.

5. #5 "U.S. woman send Adopted Russian Kid Back with note saying: 'I don't want him anymore 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Fury as U.S. woman adopts Russian boy, 7, then sends him back alone with note saying: 'I don't want him anymore'

snip

Russia reacted with horror today over the heartbreaking story of a seven-year-old Siberian boy adopted by an American family who was sent back to Moscow alone - because his U.S. mother didn't want him any more.

Little Artem Saveliev was last year taken from a grim orphanage and given a new life in Tennessee last year.

But his adoptive mother Torry-Ann Hansen, a 34-year-old nurse, yesterday put him on a ten-hour flight as an unaccompanied minor with a note 'to whom it may concern' saying: 'I no longer wish to parent this child'.

In his rucksack, she had placed sweets, biscuits and colouring pens for the journey.

The Kremlin's children's rights commissioner Pavel Astakhov lambasted the U.S. mother, who is understood to be a nurse and a single parent with a natural son.Russia's foreign minister is now demanding a freeze on adoptions between the U.S. and Russia.

He also said he was 'indignant' at the way the child was treated 'as a parcel'.
    HOW WAS HE ALLOWED TO TRAVEL ALONE?

Artem, just seven years old, travelled from Tennessee to Washington, and from Washington to Moscow, apparently unaccompanied.United Airlines refused to discuss the case but stressed that its rules on unaccompanied minors were strictly adhered to However these rules state that children aged seven 'may not travel on connecting flights'.

The airline said its 'unaccompanied minor service is available to ensure that your child is boarded onto the aircraft, introduced to the flight attendant, chaperoned during connections and turned over to the appropriate person upon arrival at their final destination.'Having bought a ticket and put the child on the plane, it seems Hansen found a Russian tour guide on the internet who agreed to meet the child at the airport.

This man, called Artur, passed him to the authorities in central Moscow. Hansen agreed to pay Artur $200 for meeting the child, said officials.Lavrov said the U.S. had refused to negotiate such an accord in the past but 'the recent event was the last straw'.

U.S. ambassador to Russia, John Beyrle, said he was 'deeply shocked by the news' and 'very angry that any family would act so callously toward a child that they had legally adopted'.

Russian officials also refused the U.S. consul access to the child saying: 'If his American parent kicked out him from the country on a plane like a sack of potatoes, then we will look after the boy.

'Our care system will take up the case. After a full medical examination, he will be placed into one of our orphanages.'Ashtakhov questioned how American immigration had let the child leave Washington, and why United Airlines had carried him alone to Moscow. Normally, stringent checks are applied on minors travelling without parents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-problems.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

That kind of rejection doesn't bode well for the boy's future.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis