Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You know shannon has a son about the same age . . . who like girls amazingly enough . . . :D

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    This reminds me of an email I got :
    Ooh, I forgot about the call waiting/forwarding and caller ID! I just take them for granted now, like they have always been there. As for the cell phones and texting, I must admit I'm more guilty of this than my kids are. Before I had a Google G1 how did I find anything without the maps and navigation? How did I ever remember who my friends were, much less there phone numbers? Jeez, I'm completely dependent on this thing now. :(
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

As an employer (and a tutor), I've thought a lot about Internet research. I like it but I realize that I actually have enough base knowledge to recognize the difference between authoritative sources and their clones. It's difficult to make those distinctions clear to the 18 and under crowd. (It's difficult for the over 30 crowd sometimes.)

If push comes to shove, I could actually do what I do with a pencil and paper. A slide rule would shorten things up, and a learning calculator would be great! Even Lotus would be helpful.

I have enough skills to do real math without technology. I could also research any topic without the Internet (although in some cases I wouldn't have the best statistics). I could write the Great American Novel in longhand if I had the interest and talent to write it in the first place.

It's easy to use all these wonderful shortcuts. It's fun. I'm really glad I could instantly (and pretty painlessly) do all of this and much more with essentially 19th century tools and skill sets of I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    As an employer (and a tutor), I've thought a lot about Internet research. I like it but I realize that I actually have enough base knowledge to recognize the difference between authoritative sources and their clones. It's difficult to make those distinctions clear to the 18 and under crowd. (It's difficult for the over 30 crowd sometimes.)

If push comes to shove, I could actually do what I do with a pencil and paper. A slide rule would shorten things up, and a learning calculator would be great! Even Lotus would be helpful.

I have enough skills to do real math without technology. I could also research any topic without the Internet (although in some cases I wouldn't have the best statistics). I could write the Great American Novel in longhand if I had the interest and talent to write it in the first place.

It's easy to use all these wonderful shortcuts. It's fun. I'm really glad I could instantly (and pretty painlessly) do all of this and much more with essentially 19th century tools and skill sets of I had to.
    Careful Ginger! There is too much dating going on here. You could do without a calculator even though they have been around since way before you were born, Right?:D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I couldn't do my job by hand without the internet. Mostly because without computers, the internet and Linux, I wouldn't have my job, as it were.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Careful Ginger! There is too much dating going on here. You could do without a calculator even though they have been around since way before you were born, Right?:D
    LOL! No dating (or nothing too extreme). My undergrad program had modules that required pen/paper, slide rule, and basic calculator skills. The idea back then was that you didn't actually "know" whatever it was unless you could do it that way. They also made those of us in the hard sciences build our own computers even though cheapo computers were available.

I was in the very last class at my college who had the choice of taking the classical or contemporary version of my degree program. I took the classical option and I've never looked back. I had literature, history, religion, and so forth but I also had to take logic, botany, fine arts, language, and music. My actual major in undergrad was chemistry.

While I've never used botany on a day-to-day basis, I've used it more than I ever did the 'Feminist American Literature' class I had to take. :D

Now, I went to a very expensive, very selective, very holier-than-thou college. Your middle-of-the-road private colleges probably didn't (don't) offer this kind of old school skill set.

I have to say that my (then) elite prep allowed me to whip butt later in graduate school.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Boxes and boxes and boxes of theology, language studies and most English versions of the bible including a photocopy version of the Geneva bible complete with notes from the reformers. Several Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, most of the classic commentaries and many contemporary commentaries literal as well as liberal view points. I have copies of most of the dead sea scrolls as well as Apocrypha from other sources. I have a library that will rival most ministers. Someday I may haul it all out and disappear for five years again.
    You could establish your ministry here.We even have a token heathen/sinner or two for your work .You could even take Polli as your acolyte .:D

Sonnabend
    And with all that information and resources on hand, megimoo still cant get it right...