Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Polish president and wife among '87 confirmed dead' as plane crashes in Russia 
    Polish president Lech Kaczynski and his wife Maria have been killed after their plane crashed on approach to Smolensk airport in western Russia.
    Russian news agencies reported at least 87 people died in the crash near Smolensk airport in western Russia, citing the Russian Emergencies Ministry. They reported 132 people were aboard the Tupolev Tu-154.
    The governor of the Smolensk region, where the crash took place about 11 a.m. (0700 GMT), said no one survived.

"The Polish presidential plane did not make it to the runway while landing. Tentative findings indicate that it hit the treetops and fell apart," Sergei Anufriev said on state news channel Rossiya-24. "Nobody has survived the disaster."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0kh2n23c7
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-Russia.html
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

There is a reason why our president does not fly commercial.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    There is a reason why our president does not fly commercial.
    He wasn't flying commercial either.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Ok, I'm a total nerd. I was playing my MMO, Fallen Earth, when a Polish Guild member interrupted our chat to inform us that the "Polish Air Force One" had crashed killing all on-board. The Scotts and Brits, and Irish, and myself "The American Cowboy" thought this was a joke, and we preceded to rib the Pole that had brought this up. However we learned very quickly by his tone that he was serious. All I can say is wow. I was informed hours ago over Ventrillo what American news agencies won't pick up until the morning. After talking to a resident of Poland, this is huge deal to him personally, and he is uncertain about the future.

Edit: The entirety of the polish government is offline. They nearly lost their entire chain of command in this crash.
    Last edited by malloc; 04-10-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    He wasn't flying commercial either.
    He wasn't? I got that impression from what I read. I guess I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post

Edit: The entirety of the polish government is offline. They nearly lost their entire chain of command in this crash.
    After what happened in the Ukraine elections a few years back - this is a little too convenient don't you think?

He wasn't? I got that impression from what I read. I guess I misunderstood.
    Yeah, they had their own "Air Force One" It was a Tupolov 154. Sounds like it was an outdated plane and Russia just retired it out of their service.

After what happened in the Ukraine elections a few years back - this is a little too convenient don't you think?
    That was my first thought, but then the reports say that it was foggy and the pilot clipped some tree tops while landing. Unless the pilot was somehow bribed and on a suicide run sounds like this was purely an unfortunate accident.

This is also why our POTUS and VP never travel together.

I would like to see the setting of the ILS altitude transmitter. Being it was so foggy, the plane would/should have been on an ILS approach. If the main alititude transmitter was set 100ft too low, the plane would come up 100ft short of the runway.

The Polish President had a twin brother.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04...rashes-russia/

I'm sure there'll be all kinds of conspiracy rumors that will forever surround this, just like with our JFK assassination. But some strange facts are starting to come out about this. I read earlier where Russia says it's air traffic controllers instructed the pilot not to land there, not just once but a few times ordering him off, but the pilot refused to respond and went down for landing there anyway (they say). They are also saying now that Putin is taking personal charge of the investigation (how convenient).

Poland we recall was where we had planned to put that missile defense system till Barry decided to yank the rug out from under them, right before he jumped in bed with Vlad and signed away all our nukes last week.

Probably still just an accident, but best not to take eye off The Bear.