Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Russia doesn't transmit the observations of that airfield worldwide, so I can't check to see what the field conditions were at the time. It's possible they may have been at or below field mins. I would assume that if the pilot was flying an aircraft that sensitive, he had to have been fully qualified, so he should have been able to handle a PAR approach if that airfield has that capability. That would have given him 100ft cigs and 400m vis mins. It would have to be rock bottem tanked to not have that.

I've also learn in my experience in the AF that extra pressure is applied when you have a VIP like this to not have them divert no matter the conditions. So even though the ATC may have been trying to wave them off, the pilot thought he could handle it and didn't want the trouble of explaining to his President why they had to divert to a differant location causing a world of diplomatic trouble.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Sonnabend
    What the hell was the majority of the chain of command doing on ONE plane? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    What the hell was the majority of the chain of command doing on ONE plane? :eek:
    Well that doesn't work in Europe or anywhere else in the world but I bet we could do it and do it right. They just don't have our expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post

When the GR Ford museum opened in my hometown (fall of 1981), every sitting world leader of the west came, as did President Reagan, VP Bush, SOH O'Neill, Senate leaders of both parties, and every living ex-president (Nixon, Carter and the man himself). Thatcher, Mitterrand, Schmidt, Sadat, Begin, etc., were all there. That was in the waning days of the cold war, but the joke was that the Soviets could take out all the world leaders in one afternoon by nuking Grand Rapids. I'm sure that even almost 30 years ago, Reagan and Bush arrived on separate flights, and Tip was on a different one from both of them.

We were impressed at the time by all the security, the secret service, and so on. It was nothing compared to what security for an event with guests of the magnitude would bring now, in the post 9-11 world.