Thread: U.S. Marine Becomes First Blind Double Amputee to Re-Enlist

1. #1 U.S. Marine Becomes First Blind Double Amputee to Re-Enlist 
    He has no legs and no eyesight, but Marine Cpl. Matthew Bradford has four more years of military service ahead of him after becoming the first blind double-amputee to re-enlist.

The rifleman was injured in January 2007 in Iraq when a roadside bomb exploded right under him, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

But after years at the Center for the Intrepid, a privately funded, cutting-edge rehabilitation center, Bradford, 23, has learned to walk with prosthetic limbs and navigate without his vision, and he only regrets that he can’t return to combat duty in Iraq, the paper reported.

Instead the Kentucky native will head to Camp Lejeune, N.C., where he will work with other wounded Marines in hopes of helping them cope with anger, depression and other issues.

"I'm paving the road for the rest of them who want to stay in but think they can't," he told the Express-News. "I'm ready to get back to work."
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...est=latestnews
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

God bless him and his family.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I think its great.
    This Marine will do a lot of good in his new job.

Resident Grump
    ...where do we find men like this? How do you define courage....truly, this man IS a hero.

Godspeed, Marine.

Semper Fi bro. Ya'll ever seen a Sergeant of Marines salute a Corporal? Well, that's what this Sergeant is doing.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Fabulous Poster
    I've long wondered why the US military would not take advantage of the available manpower and talent in the noncombat/nevercombat kind of jobs and the answer has always been kind of ritual, "Everyone is supposed to be fit for combat." which of course is never the case.

Good for them. Hopefully this will open the door to military service for people who are patriotic and completely capable of doing behind the scenes stuff but not able to run marathons or climb mountains.

7. #7 Marine is first blind double amputee to re-enlist 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    After all he's been through, the only real regret Marine Cpl. Matthew Bradford says he has now is not being able to return to combat duty in Iraq.

But Wednesday, Bradford, 23, made Marine Corps history, becoming the first blind double amputee to re-enlist. In keeping with service tradition, Bradford was honorably discharged and allowed to say a few words as a civilian before re-enlisting.

“Sign me up, sir!” he told Lt. Col. David Barnes, who administered the oath of enlistment, extending Bradford's military career by another four years.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/military...wFullArticle=y

True hero. And proud to have him protecting me and our nation.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

I'm glad that the military is willing to continue to give this man a purpose and to not make his sacrifice in vain.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.