Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What were the Republican presidents' views on abortion? 
    I realize that many of the Republican presidents are pro-life, so during their campaigns for office how did they deal with the issue of abortions after the Roe v. Wade ruling?

Did Reagan, Bush Sr., & Bush Jr. ever campaign on reversing Roe v. Wade or did they just oppose it but not propose reversing Roe v. Wade?
    Last edited by The Californian; 04-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Californian View Post
    I realize that many of the Republican presidents are pro-life, so during their campaigns for office how did they deal with the issue of abortions after the Roe v. Wade ruling?

Did Reagan, Bush Sr., & Bush Jr. ever campaign on reversing Roe v. Wade or did they just oppose it but not propose reversing Roe v. Wade?
    They can't reverse it - it was a supreme court decision. It would have to reversed by the supreme court. What they do is try to stack the court with pro-life judges. In other words, they're hoping for some "judicial activism".
    Last edited by wilbur; 04-11-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    They can't reverse it - it was a supreme court decision. It would have to reversed by the supreme court. What they do is try to stack the court with pro-life judges. In other words, they're hoping for some "judicial activism".
    So, while I assume that Reagan, Bush Sr., or Bush Jr. were all pro-life, did they ever suggest proposing laws to limit or abortions or did they just oppose it and not do anything about it?

So, while I assume that Reagan, Bush Sr., or Bush Jr. were all pro-life, did they ever suggest proposing laws to limit or abortions or did they just oppose it and not do anything about it?
    Most of them have fought to prevent public funding for abortion.

Banned
    Nixon--Pro-Life except in cases of rape or interracial couplings.
    Ford--Pro-Choice
    Reagan--Pro-Life, but as governor pro-choice.
    Bush, Sr--Pro-Life
    Bush Jr--Pro- Life.

right because seeing the unborn as people - that's serious activism. FUCKTARD.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

The issue is one that must be ultimately dealt with in the courts. SO - The attempt has always been to appoint judges that would recognize the unborn are human beings too. Remember - The president cannot make laws - but he can set policy and the policy under Reagan and both Bushs has been to deny funding for abortions. Of course Clinton and Obama both being total scumbags have reversed those policies.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    right because seeing the unborn as people - that's serious activism. FUCKTARD.
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The issue is one that must be ultimately dealt with in the courts. SO - The attempt has always been to appoint judges that would recognize the unborn are human beings too. Remember - The president cannot make laws - but he can set policy and the policy under Reagan and both Bushs has been to deny funding for abortions. Of course Clinton and Obama both being total scumbags have reversed those policies.
    Can't make laws?

Actually there are hoping to erase the previous act of judicial activism by returning the option to the states were in belonged in the first place.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis