Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sarasota doctor's license revoked for aborting wrong fetus 
    Why was an abortion attempted just because one of the twins had Down Syndrome?

TAMPA -- A Florida OB-GYN who was supposed to abort a deformed fetus in a twin pregnancy but leave the normal one alone made the worst kind of mistake. Dr. Matthew J. Kachinas got the twins mixed up and injected a killing chemical into the wrong one, records show.

At a weekend meeting in Tampa, the Florida Board of Medicine revoked Kachinas' license for that and a series of other pending cases, according to Florida Health News. Immediately after the hearing, the physician said he intended to kill himself and was involuntarily hospitalized.

Kachinas, who practiced in Sarasota, was one of the few OB-GYNs in Florida who accepted abortion patients in late second trimester, records show. The ``selective reduction'' in the twin pregnancy was not considered a late-term procedure.

The parents of the twins, who had achieved the pregnancy through in-vitro fertilization with an egg donor, were not identified and were not at the hearing. Records show that after the normal fetus was inadvertently killed, they ended the pregnancy altogether the following week.

Records show the fetal twins were at 15 weeks' gestation when the botched ``feticid'' took place. The normal fetus was a girl; the twin with anomalies -- Down syndrome and a possible heart defect -- was male.
    The story found here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Why was an abortion attempted just because one of the twins had Down Syndrome?
    Isnt it obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Isnt it obvious?
    No it isn't. Are you ok with the murder of children just because they are not perfect?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    all because the parents were selfish. They didn't want to have to deal with a possible down syndrome baby. It's just like the case in NY a couple of years ago where the mother (who was a journalist) found out she was pregnant with either twins or triplets. She opted to have one of them aborted because it was and "inconvenience" to her work. HOWEVER the Father wanted all of the kids. but because it's "the mothers body" he had no say.

The whole thing is nothing more than selfish people not wanting to be inconvenienced

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    all because the parents were selfish. They didn't want to have to deal with a possible down syndrome baby. It's just like the case in NY a couple of years ago where the mother (who was a journalist) found out she was pregnant with either twins or triplets. She opted to have one of them aborted because it was and "inconvenience" to her work. HOWEVER the Father wanted all of the kids. but because it's "the mothers body" he had no say.

The whole thing is nothing more than selfish people not wanting to be inconvenienced
    Exactly. That is what the abortion process is mainly about. The medical necessity for abortions is rare compared to those who use it as after the fact birth control. They want to engage in risky behavior but do not want to experience the consequences that may result from their choices.

C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    No it isn't. Are you ok with the murder of children just because they are not perfect?
    Have you noticed many young Down syndrome children around lately?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I wouldn't choose to abort a fetus because it had Down's Syndrome, but I still support legal abortion. I tend to agree that the motives of the mother are probably selfish (the whole "I want a perfect baby" thing), but it's her right to make that decision. Also, this was in the second trimester and the doctor should have done a better job explaining the risks of the procedure, to her and to the other twin that she didn't want to abort.

With twins, where only one of them has the condition, the mother even has the solution to the biggest problem for parents bringing a child with Down's into the world-who is going to take care of this child when I am gone?

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Have you noticed many young Down syndrome children around lately?
    Yes I have. There are several in the various circles I travel in. All are basically happy children, even the ones who are 30 years old and who have jobs. Also their parents love them dearly. Now I do hang out with a lot of Christians who do see value in allowing a person to be born and having a chance at life. Perhaps you hang out with more self-interested group people than I do.

C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    I'm not talking about people I know or don't know, just what I see around on the streets and in neighborhoods. And the ones you speak of who are "30 years old and have jobs" are not what I mean by young children.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm not talking about people I know or don't know, just what I see around on the streets and in neighborhoods. And the ones you speak of who are "30 years old and have jobs" are not what I mean by young children.
    Yes I do see them. More than 10 or 20 years ago. I don't know, I never took a census. My point about the older ones is that they do live to have productive satisfying lives that they wouldn't have had if a parent had decided to have them murdered in utero. I see them of all ages in my area of the world.

C. S. Lewis