Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ginger makes good points. My general opinion is that if people dont care enough to work hard for their own health, they arent going to work hard for me. Now thats not always true, of course, but I cannot say that I have met a truly ambitious and hard-working person who is morbidly obese. I have met good workers, but not what I would consider to be the top .01%. And it is only the top .01% that have a chance of making it to the highest-level positions.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    Ginger makes good points. My general opinion is that if people dont care enough to work hard for their own health, they arent going to work hard for me. Now thats not always true, of course, but I cannot say that I have met a truly ambitious and hard-working person who is morbidly obese. I have met good workers, but not what I would consider to be the top .01%. And it is only the top .01% that have a chance of making it to the highest-level positions.
    This is the cut-off point, it's true.

Even though I work in an intensely health-conscious, rabidly "green" environment, we have our share of obese people. I have seen over the years that the obese may be valued up to a certain level of command but they are almost never promoted to positions that involve public speaking, negotiations, court appearances, public meetings, or media involvement.

Basically at my place, you can be obese and paid very well if you stick to the lab or IT. Anything else and you will hit the Twinkie Ceiling.

Goldwater
    How do people get that big without noticing or caring?

I'm a skeleton so this stuff is all a mystery to me.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post

They are victims. Sheesh.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    They are victims. Sheesh.
    My opinion of you just dropped 30%.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    My opinion of you just dropped 30%.

My "I Don't Give a Shit" Meter just peaked.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I can't I really it get myself. I've watched 'Big Medicine' and that show about the obesity hospital and care center. I feel a lot of sympathy for a lot of those people. Some of them are really intelligent and insightful. It's hard to understand how they got where are - they find it hard to understand.

To some degree, I think that they just give up on having a normal life and they get some kind of positive, or at least neutral, feedback from friends and family. In my childhood home, kids were routinely cautioned about 'food greed'. We simply didn't always have enough to feed 7 with seconds. Meals were prepared with an eye toward lunch and leftovers so unlimited eating was not a norm. My folks didn't buy sodas, chips, candy, or ice cream unless we had a celebration. We didn't have any opportunities to binge on food.

Now, people do have those opportunities and friends and family see such indulgence as more of a mental health issue instead of an opportunistic option.

The other part of it is probably mainstreaming. We see people today who would have been considered outrageously fat 25 years ago - now they look "chunky". Look at any old time sit-com and consider the fat character. He or she appears pretty "normal" today - Ethel in "I love Lucy" would be a good example.

Twenty years ago a size 20 would have been considered way beyond the pale and you couldn't have found that size in most department stores. Now, you have trouble finding 8, 10, or 12 in many stores outside of the Juniors section.

I have a colleague who actually has a policy to not hire people who are morbidly obese. He is firmly of the belief that obesity is a symptom of laziness. He also says that in his experience they are more likely to take sick days and complain. So he just won't hire them anymore. Fortunately for him he can legally do that (for now). Soon you wont be able to discriminate against obese people. We have so many of them in this country that its only a matter of time before politicians see the opportunity to get on their good side by introducing all sorts of legislation protecting them.

And if you dont believe me, just think back 3 years ago when I predicted the housing crisis to the freakin' T. :)
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    My "I Don't Give a Shit" Meter just peaked.
    What a peach. :p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Of course everything has it's exceptions...
    The little research I've read is that obese people do not have as much success in their endeavors as others. Whether that's related more to lifestyle...because Obese people have less drive or something........I don't know, but I wouldn't doubt that there are higher instances of discrimination.
    Translate that to the business world and I'll bet their is even more truth.

Let's face it. We are a society based on youth and beauty and although we say we value intelligence and wisdom.....Aesthetics is what we celebrate, like it or not.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor