Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
I get that. My second cousin was asked to leave Tito's worker's paradise in the 1960, because she made anti-communist statements. Prior to that, she was harrassed at the university by other professors for having a jewish-sounding name (Leah).
Of course, Tito was mild compared to most communists. He made dissidents leave the country, he didn't lock them up in prison. Yugoslavia was never part of the Warsaw pact, and it's residents were free to cross the border and back.
I don't know if "mild" is the right term. On the Communist Bastard Scale, Tito was about a four to Stalin's ten. Although not officially a member of the Warsaw Pact, Yugoslavia imported Soviet weapons and organized its military along Soviet lines and it was always understood that they were allies. In addition, Tito personally laid the groundwork for the current ethnic strife in the Balkans by forcing the migration of groups of Serbs into Croatia and Croatians into Serbia. This created small enclaves of endangered ethnic groups who were dependent on the state for their survival. When the state collapsed, they were left on their own among people who hated them. The subsequent ethnic cleansing came because of Tito's policy of ethnic seeding. Also, during WWII, Tito's partisans were notorious for killing off the non-communist resistance groups, guaranteeing that they would be the only players standing when the Nazis were driven out, but also resulting an a divided effort at fighting Hitler. Again, not as evil as Stalin, Mao, Che or many of the other paradigms of good Communist thought, but not exactly a choir boy.
Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
There's plenty of anti-semitism on both sides of the spectrum, in this country, but it doesn't seem as predominate as in Europe, nor as deadly. But there's a whole lot of unspecified hate in Detroit, to result in average murder rates of over 300 a year.
Funny how cities run by Democrats tend to have massively high murder rates and intense, if unspecified, hatreds. Now, when Dinkins ran NYC, this was very much the case, but when Giuliani took over, the murder rate began to drop and continued through his administration. So, my question is, did New Yorkers suddenly start loving each other after Rudy took over, or did effective administration of police and criminal justice that emphasized the rights of law-abiding citizens over criminals make the difference?

I wouldn't say that there's much anti-semitism "on both sides of the spectrum" so much as a tremendous amount of it on the left. You'd have a hard time meeting an anti-semite at a Tea Party, for example (unless it's one of the crashers), and I haven't heard a prominent Republican say anything even remotely anti-semitic in decades (compared with Democrats, especially in the Congressional Black Caucus, who say some fairly outrageous things about Jews). In fact, one of the things that's gotten Pat Buchanan marginalized in conservative circles is his take on Jews and Israel. OTOH, it's become rampant on the left. Every antiwar rally since Desert Storm has featured a serious anti-semitic current. For example:

And those were in San Francisco, not Paris, London or Gaza. Unfortunately, anti-semitism is on the rise globally, and you can thank the left for it.