Thread: Romney Wins Presidential Straw Poll By A Hair

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99
  1. #1 Romney Wins Presidential Straw Poll By A Hair 
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    April 12, 2010 9:59 a.m. EST
    Topics: politics, poll, political candidates, election, United States
    Kris Alingod - AHN News Contributor

    Washington, DC, United States (AHN) - Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney won a Republican straw poll of presidential nominees over the weekend, beating Rep. Ron Paul of Texas by a hair's breadth.

    Romney was the top choice of members of the GOP at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Louisiana with 24 percent or 439 votes. He was only one vote ahead of Paul, who defeated Romney in a straw poll early this year at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference.

    Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished third with 18 percent or 330 votes, 9 more than former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who spoke before the conference and accused the Obama administration of being "the most radical in American history."

    Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a Southern Baptist minister who unexpectedly won the 2008 Iowa caucuses, received 4 percent. He is followed by Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, both with 3 percent.

    The SLRC, a quadrennial event which has featured every Republican candidate for the White House since Ronald Reagan, highlighted disparities within the GOP.

    Romney chose not to attend the conference but had supporters rallying votes for him ahead of the poll.
    The 62-year-old former CEO is on a tour to promote his book "No Apology: The Case for American Greatness."

    A Mormon, Romney was vetted for the Republican vice presidential nomination after he ended his presidential bid in February 2008 due to heavy losses on Super Tuesday. He is gathering support for a petition to repeal the Obama administration's newly passed healthcare legislation, citing the private, market-based healthcare reform he helped enact in his state.

    Paul, meanwhile, riled up some conservatives at the conference with his trademark anti-war rhetoric, saying, "We have conservatives and liberals. They both like to spend. Conservatives spend money on different things, they like embassies and they like occupation, they like the empire, they like to be in 135 countries and 700 bases."

    "Donít you think itís rather conservative to say, 'Oh, itís good to follow the Constitution except for war! Let the Presidents go to war anytime they want!' " he added.

    A 2008 presidential hopeful and the 1988 Libertarian Party nominee, Paul was one of only six Republicans to vote against the war in Iraq. He is a medical doctor who is on his 11th term as a congressman.

    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7018373595
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,139
    After Massachusetts health care Romney can kiss any chance of President goodbye!





    And Poli tell your avatar to quit looking at my ass that way!:eek::mad:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    I can not vote for Romney if he is the Prez nominee in 2012. I held my nose voting for RINO McCain. Romney signed into law a Health Care Bill as Governor. That disqualifies him to get my vote. The last thing the Repubs need is a yankee Rockefeller Repub that talks a good game about being conservative and votes as a liberal. Too many people got snookered into believing that smooth talking pissant that is President now. I am hoping Repubs can see thru this mirage.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I can not vote for Romney if he is the Prez nominee in 2012. I held my nose voting for RINO McCain. Romney signed into law a Health Care Bill as Governor. That disqualifies him to get my vote. The last thing the Repubs need is a yankee Rockefeller Repub that talks a good game about being conservative and votes as a liberal. Too many people got snookered into believing that smooth talking pissant that is President now. I am hoping Repubs can see thru this mirage.
    well a close second was of course - you know who . . . be prepared for a fresh influx of Paulbots.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    After Massachusetts health care Romney can kiss any chance of President goodbye!





    And Poli tell your avatar to quit looking at my ass that way!:eek::mad:
    quit wearing short plaid skirts and you won't have to worry. :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Paul, meanwhile, riled up some conservatives at the conference with his trademark anti-war rhetoric, saying, "We have conservatives and liberals. They both like to spend. Conservatives spend money on different things, they like embassies and they like occupation, they like the empire, they like to be in 135 countries and 700 bases."

    "Donít you think itís rather conservative to say, 'Oh, itís good to follow the Constitution except for war! Let the Presidents go to war anytime they want!' " he added.

    A 2008 presidential hopeful and the 1988 Libertarian Party nominee, Paul was one of only six Republicans to vote against the war in Iraq. He is a medical doctor who is on his 11th term as a congressman.

    Ron Paul 24% (438 votes)
    Mitt Romney 24% (439 votes)
    Hello?
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,139
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    quit wearing short plaid skirts and you won't have to worry. :p
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    hello what?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    well a close second was of course - you know who . . . be prepared for a fresh influx of Paulbots.
    I know. I am all for banning these idiots if they keep repeating the same old crap over and over.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •