Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    I see an awful lot of 'Ron Paul's foreign policy is insane' comments, but no real discussion on why exactly it's insane.

From a conservative prospective you have big government and small government. Republicans want big government when it comes to foreign policy, military spending, and military presence abroad. Democrats want big government when it comes to welfare and nannyism. Conservatives should not want either of these things, yet we have both.

Here's some facts about current U.S. foreign affairs:

We have 700 military installations abroad in 120 countries. We are the only nation I know of besides Great Britain to have military installations on foreign soil. Britain has only two battalions permanently installed outside of her sovereign territory, and these battalions are assigned to U.K. protectorates (Bermuda, Gibraltar, Falkland Islands). Compare that to the 250 or so major military installations within the continental U.S.
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...bases_overseas

U.S. projected 'Defense' spending for FY 2010 is $1.2 trillion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar..._United_States

U.S. Foreign Aid Budget 2010: $116 Billion
    http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/122511.pdf

U.S. Foreign Military Aid to Israel only: $333 Million
    http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/122511.pdf

In a country with nearly 20% real unemployment, just barely hinting at a possibility of recovery from an economic meltdown, with tens of trillions in unfunded entitlements and promises, we need to cut some of this. It absolutely has to happen. Ron Paul's views on foreign policy may not be popular, but the tough, necessary decisions never are popular. Not to mention our open southern border is erupting with war, and there isn't a single soldier, sailor, airmen or Marine on the job down here.

When you remove the emotion and look at the numbers, a more humble foreign policy and military makes sense. Even if we cut our bases abroad in half, and our military budget back down to FY 2003 levels, we will save almost $.7 trillion, and still be the dominant military power of the earth. So forget the rhetoric and think about frugality for a few moments.

Edit: I'm not implying that Ron Paul's idea of foreign policy is spot on. I'm just saying that a Ron Paul Lite approach is necessary for our financial security.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I think he's refering to Paul's assertation that the War in Iraq/Terror was illegal. when he said that crap he got thrown into the same boat as the nutjobs on the left. Autherization was given TWICE to go in by Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I see an awful lot of 'Ron Paul's foreign policy is insane' comments, but no real discussion on why exactly it's insane.
    Most people here will ignore Ron Paulbots, it seams there was a flood of them on the site before the 08 election after he lost in the primaries and was no longer running they were still campaigning.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I think he's refering to Paul's assertation that the War in Iraq/Terror was illegal. when he said that crap he got thrown into the same boat as the nutjobs on the left. Autherization was given TWICE to go in by Congress.
    But that's not how the Constitution says we go to war does it?
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Don't we have to come home and re-arm and re-fit before we go to war with Iran on behalf of Israel? What's that price tag? Nothing is too hard for the man who doesn't have to do it.
    You hanging out with Gator again?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You hanging out with Gator again?
    Why does he believe in the rule of law and following the Constitution too?
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    So what are the consequences?

Any worse than than the possibility of economic meltdown if the ventures continue?
    Well lets see - what does history show? Look at Nam - look at Lebanon - look at Iran - look at cuba - look at the results. Look at how many tin pot dictators and totalitarian asshats are mouthing off because they know that when push comes to shove and it starts to get uncomfortable - or when a democrat gets elected - America will back down and that just makes us look weak and weakness makes for more people who wanna prove themselves by trying to take a swipe at us.

BEYOND THAT - How many other nations are there out there that would love to expand their influence and power by filling the void we would leave behind? CHINA anyone? And then when China starts spreading communism - or just flat out taking over countries - Mongolia anyone? - Or just plain manipulates economically or otherwise countries into attacking us - what then?

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I am all for getting the f. out of there. We should destroy the poppy crop and leave. The government is corrupt and we should never fight or enter a war we can not win in 4 or less years. 8 years of spilling American blood over there pisses me off. The money is immaterial. Screw all these police actions. Threaten to use nukes which would get this shit over with in a heartbeat.
    My Name is Barach Obama and I'm going to nuke you if you do not cooperate . . . .

Yup that sounds REAL convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how did the Afgans kick the Russians ass if they were so weak and ill prepared? Not understanding that logic.

The loss of American lives is not worth saving this corrupt shit hole country.
    could it have something to do with us funneling money to them and training them maybe?