View Poll Results: Should obese people get handicapped parking permits?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

24 88.89%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    Well, be glad it's not Coca-Cola.

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Well, be glad it's not Coca-Cola.
    I wish it were, coke costs less then evian.....
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Power CUer
    Then you'd be on them about being fat and drinking sugared drinks. I've never been aware of anyone at the checkout using food stamps. Either I don't recognize them, or I'm too busy wrangling my own groceries and minding my own business.

I voted "no". I had to think about it because as Noonwitch pointed out, some of these fat people also have fat-related problems that make it difficult to move.

Ultimately, my vote takes into consideration the fact that people generally need both incentives and disincentives to change behavior. Making it easier to be really fat by providing closer parking or those little scooters is a step in the wrong direction. It should be harder to be fat. Understand that I'm talking about real obesity here, not having a middle-aged paunch or flabby thighs.

It's worth noting that all really huge people have a set of willing enablers. Someone has to get and cook all that food and perform ordinary tasks like laundry and cleaning. If those "helpers" had refused to help right in the beginning, maybe the person would have been forced to keep their weight down to a point where they could still perform the activities of daily living.

So, make 'em walk.

In Louisiana they use a card that looks like a credit or ATM card.Very discrete except the checker has to separate a few items. (cigarettes and booze?)
    Sadly, their food choices are usually very poorly made. For some reason they always seem to have the packs of individual chips for school lunches (get a bulk pack and some zip-locs!), cuts of meat that make me pause, cases of soda, I could go on and on.

I am fortunate and have never had food stamps, is there any type of advice given? Seems they could help them make their dollar (OUR dollar) go a lot farther.

The big Cheese
    Then you'd be on them about being fat and drinking sugared drinks. I've never been aware of anyone at the checkout using food stamps. Either I don't recognize them, or I'm too busy wrangling my own groceries and minding my own business.
    Used to be a checkout guy so I saw it all.

At least with WIC they have to buy real food.

Its wrong to buy bottled water with food stamps let alone half the other fake food I have seen food stamp people buy.

Now dont get me wrong, there are people out there that use them right. I have seen them. They clip coupons to make their food stamps go farther but I would have to say that 90 - 95% of the people I have seen first hand using food stamps shouldnt have them.

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I voted "no". I had to think about it because as Noonwitch pointed out, some of these fat people also have fat-related problems that make it difficult to move.

Ultimately, my vote takes into consideration the fact that people generally need both incentives and disincentives to change behavior. Making it easier to be really fat by providing closer parking or those little scooters is a step in the wrong direction. It should be harder to be fat. Understand that I'm talking about real obesity here, not having a middle-aged paunch or flabby thighs.

It's worth noting that all really huge people have a set of willing enablers. Someone has to get and cook all that food and perform ordinary tasks like laundry and cleaning. If those "helpers" had refused to help right in the beginning, maybe the person would have been forced to keep their weight down to a point where they could still perform the activities of daily living.

So, make 'em walk.
    here here! :)

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    In Louisiana they use a card that looks like a credit or ATM card.Very discrete except the checker has to separate a few items. (cigarettes and booze?)
    Sadly, their food choices are usually very poorly made. For some reason they always seem to have the packs of individual chips for school lunches (get a bulk pack and some zip-locs!), cuts of meat that make me pause, cases of soda, I could go on and on.

I am fortunate and have never had food stamps, is there any type of advice given? Seems they could help them make their dollar (OUR dollar) go a lot farther.
    I have seen more ribs bought by food stamp people then with real money....

Power CUer
    Chalk it up to just one more way that some people can't cope with life very well. I work with an enormous woman who's diabetic, and I'd love to say something when she has big hunks of cake at office parties and then complains that she's Not Well. People who buy a lot of processed foods - whether they're on food stamps or not - do themselves no favors. I'm one of those people who takes seriously the advice to shop around the perimeter of the market, and not down most of the aisles.

The big Cheese
    I'm one of those people who takes seriously the advice to shop around the perimeter of the market, and not down most of the aisles.
    I am the same way.

I eat 5 cups of chopped fruit every day.
    I consume 240 grams of lean protein per day and over 95% of my carbs are from natural sources like veggies and fruit.

I only eat bread or baked goods once a week and have beer once a week.

I also bike 10 miles per day.

I feel fantastic.