View Poll Results: Should obese people get handicapped parking permits?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 11.11%
  • No

24 88.89%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Short answer: no.

Longer answer, if they are disabled and fat, go ahead. But I'm afraid that may be the exception, not the rule. I'd be interested to see some investigative reporting done, focus being doctors that give out handicapped stickers for the sole reason of obesity.

I've known quite a few fat people in my life, and most of them don't have much trouble getting around, so I have rather limited sympathy for "obesity" as some kind of disability. In fact, if you are in your 20s or 30s, I file that more under "personal choice" than "disability". Not trying to be judgmental, but I've seen people in their 60s lose a ton just by cutting their flour and sugar intake.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    I edited my post.. I am jealous at how disciplined you are!! Good for you!!

I cannot imagine being in charge of handicapped tickets, and trying to decide who qualifies.

I think the system works okay, with allowing a Dr. to recommend them. Maybe they should be renewed yearly, to prevent abuse.
    Just have to think this "being thin and trim feels better then the taste of any food known to man"

Thats what I do to pump myself up.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Owl, so you are against a morbidly obese person having the handicapped spot, because they likely could have prevented their condition?

How do you feel about other folks who could have prevented their condition? Attempted suicide that leaves somebody handicapped? How about an overdose that leaves somebody in the care of someone else? A drunk driver who hurts nobody, but is in an accident that has them in a wheelchair... All of those could have been prevented, as well as the obese person who cannot support their weight. Where would you draw the line?

Me... I would just follow the Drs advice, and if I owned the grocery store, or restaurant, I would have LOTS of handicapped parking spaces for obese. It would be good for business.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    Just have to think this "being thin and trim feels better then the taste of any food known to man"

Thats what I do to pump myself up.
    I think... "how would that look on my ass and thighs..that is where it always goes." GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    You are a freak of nature.
    That is impressive, but he is not a freak. I exercise 5-6 days a week, eat zero trans fat and less than 5 grams of saturated fat per day. i consume approximately 2000 calories per day, the vast majority of which comes in the form of lean protein and low-fat/non-fat dairy. The only carbs I eat are from vegetables or 100% whole grains.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    How about smokers who bring on their handicap from smoking? On oxygen, barely able to walk... should they have the parking spaces?

I am playing devils advocate. I would not want to be the person who decides who gets those handicap tags. edited to say... my first reaction is that fat people should not get them. But if I was in charge, I would have a hard time distinguishing that group from other groups who chose poorly, and caused their disabilities.
    I think that too many here are being judgemental. Since when are we God?I agree with your devil's advocate remarks.

I've seen two women at work gain a substantial amount of weight after undergoing long courses of chemo. A woman who had volunteered at the zoo with me had diabetes and a number of other problems. At first she lost weight, then started other meds and blew up like a balloon. She had to walk with a big staff when she took kids on tours of the zoo. Bless her heart, she fought til the end. She died in her late 40's.

Who among us would tell her that she didn't deserve a handicapped parking sticker because she was overweight?

I find some of these threads disturbing. Are we going to pick a group of the week to ridicule? A little compassion goes a long way.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I think that too many here are being judgemental. Since when are we God?I agree with your devil's advocate remarks.

I've seen two women at work gain a substantial amount of weight after undergoing long courses of chemo. A woman who had volunteered at the zoo with me had diabetes and a number of other problems. At first she lost weight, then started other meds and blew up like a balloon. She had to walk with a big staff when she took kids on tours of the zoo. Bless her heart, she fought til the end. She died in her late 40's.

Who among us would tell her that she didn't deserve a handicapped parking sticker because she was overweight?

I find some of these threads disturbing. Are we going to pick a group of the week to ridicule? A little compassion goes a long way.
    Here is a song Mac Davis recorded that describes all the perfect people in the world.

Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror cause I get better looking every day.
    To know me is to love me. I must be a hell of a man.
    Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, but I am doing the best that I can.

For those think that some are judgmental, we very rapidly approaching a point where all diseases that are not congenital will be traced to lifestyle one way or another and we will all be equally guilty of whatever diseases or conditions we have.

People point to smokers or porkers now but believe me, with universal health care and rationing we will all be in the same boat as far as the gate-keepers are concerned. You didn't exercise enough or do the right kind of exercise, you didn't get outside enough or you did it too much, you didn't eat enough fruit or the right kind of fat or enough fiber, you read too much or you played too hard or you were around animals or not around animals enough, you didn't sleep enough or slept too much, etc.

We are rapidly becoming a very judgmental society, indeed. Sadly, it won't stop at simple common sense issues like weight, monogamy, and drug/alcohol use - it will get every single one of us eventually. There are no more accidents of fate for the bureaucrats.