Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I'm not just talking gay here. I mean when did they come up with the idea that only immediate family can access someone in ICU? I mean outside of my wife - I'm not sure I want any of my immediate family having access to me - but there are friends - my pastor - I have who I would want to have access. ANYHOW there has to be a reason why they made the rule in the first place and I for one . . . just don't get it.

If I'm in ICU, I don't want my mother to visit me. If I'm that sick, I want the doctors to be listening to me, not her.

It's about time. This should be between the patient and the hospital. Imagine you've lived unmarried to somebody for 20+ years and as they are dying you are denied access to their bedside. This should be a no brainer.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    It's about time. This should be between the patient and the hospital. Imagine you've lived unmarried to somebody for 20+ years and as they are dying you are denied access to their bedside. This should be a no brainer.
    This pretty much never happens today. That's why this effort is just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    All in all I'm fine with that. I'd rather he toss meaningless scraps that to the clammering masses then trillion dollar buy offs.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    But "pretty much never" happens means that it does still happen and If you're that one it's happening to it's important.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    But "pretty much never" happens means that it does still happen and If you're that one it's happening to it's important.
    It "pretty much" only happens to people who are estranged from their families and separated from their shack-ups. In those circumstances people need to stay on top of their own affairs. You can make a small card detailing who you want contacted and under what circumstances and you can keep that in your wallet or purse.

It's your responsibility to keep it updated.

Plenty of people have had unpleasant reunions with abusive family members, estranged children, and spouses in the process of divorce during health emergencies. Having the government dictate the call-down list of your relations is no guarantee of a happy ending.

Sonnabend
    I'm not just talking gay here. I mean when did they come up with the idea that only immediate family can access someone in ICU? I mean outside of my wife - I'm not sure I want any of my immediate family having access to me - but there are friends - my pastor - I have who I would want to have access. ANYHOW there has to be a reason why they made the rule in the first place and I for one . . . just don't get it.
    Because it is ICU and the person is under 24 hr care, they dont want too many visitors, ICU is not the ward and its a different environment.

In that situation they want as few people as possible..and form experience I know that many patients also want it that way, immediate family only.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If I'm in ICU, I don't want my mother to visit me. If I'm that sick, I want the doctors to be listening to me, not her.
    I completely understand. I'd prolly rip out my own IVs and such just to escape my mother!;)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Because it is ICU and the person is under 24 hr care, they dont want too many visitors, ICU is not the ward and its a different environment.

In that situation they want as few people as possible..and form experience I know that many patients also want it that way, immediate family only.
    The very LAST people I'd wanna see in the ICU are my parents. Her parents - sure. I actually like them. But mine? HELL NO. I'm certain my mother would try to make me feel guilty for making her come and worry - while my father would hit on the nurses and be generally embarrassing and annoying until he got thrown out.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The very LAST people I'd wanna see in the ICU are my parents. Her parents - sure. I actually like them. But mine? HELL NO. I'm certain my mother would try to make me feel guilty for making her come and worry - while my father would hit on the nurses and be generally embarrassing and annoying until he got thrown out.
    You took after your dads side didn't you!