Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Nutjob? Nutbag? Loon? 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmEOv_rT8LQ

Please tell me why what this man says sounds so crazy to some conservatives. Liberals thinking he is off his rocker is completely understandable given that he is the antithesis of everything their agenda stands for. But conservatives?

I hear many (although fewer these days) self-professing conservatives labeling Mr. Paul some epithet representing insanity; including some here. Well, if Paul is indeed one beer short of a six-pack, then so was Jefferson, so was Adams, and all the others who drafted and/or signed the Constitution of the United States of America.

I have asked numerous times here, what exactly is it that Mr. Paul puts forth in his arguments that makes him in any way daft?

Thanks.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

I think his foreign policy idea's is the biggest attribute for that idea. The biggest enmity for him comes from his followers. Ronbots invaded this site and acted loonier then a pack of loonies in a loony bin. The fact that they were invited and led by a power mad megalomaniac who single handedly drove half this sites members away, it just left a lot of bad feelings.
    Last edited by djones520; 04-16-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I think his foreign policy idea's is the biggest attribute for that idea. The biggest enmity for him comes from his followers. Ronbots invaded this site and acted loonier then a pack of loonies in a loony bin. The fact that they were invited and led by a power mad megalomaniac who single handedly drove half this sites members away, it just left a lot of bad feelings.
    I see. Well, that is understandable. Unfortunately, every movement has its loons. Ron Paul's biggest PR problem with me is that his Libertarian principles keep him from dictating to those who believe in his overall message. For example, Jesse Ventura (who I think IS a bubble off of plumb) appearing at a Ron Paul event leaves a bad taste in my mouth as well. However, I try to separate the message from the messenger when I can.

Likewise, I hear what you are saying about his view of foreign policy and that used to be my own biggest policy difference with him, but I have to say that as time has passed and our fiscal house has crumbled further, and our foreign adventures (esp. Afghanistan) seem to be more and more like trying to nail Jell-O to a swaying tree, I have begun to reexamine my own assumptions in "empire" maintenance.

At any rate, whether one agrees with him in part or at all, I don't think anything that he suggests even remotely resembles lunacy.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Voting for Ron Paul For president will insure we become a communist nation. We cannot chance 4 more years of obama. Rem Ross Perot! Ron Paul cannot get the votes to win it would be impossible. get over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Voting for Ron Paul For president will insure we become a communist nation. We cannot chance 4 more years of obama. Rem Ross Perot! Ron Paul cannot get the votes to win it would be impossible. get over it!

I really don't think he is going to run, Rock. Even if he does, it will only be to mobilize his forces so when he endorses the Republican that can win, the Republican WILL win. Paul understands full-well that trying to work outside the framework of the Republican Party is utter folly, at least for the foreseeable future. Ross Perot (who clearly was insane) didn't get that, and I don't think he cared. I believe he ran on ego.

I am frankly more worried about the Tea Party missing this dynamic than Ron Paul and his foot soldiers. What you suggest is a really, really important factor that ALL conservatives had better get to avoid the very outcome you predict if they don't. At the same time, the GOP and whoever emerges as the favored candidate to kick Bam Bam out of office had better understand that Ron Paul's endorsement is very, very important. If you recall, Paul refused to endorse any Republican candidate the last go around and that was very damaging to the already damaged goods named John McCain.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I really don't think he is going to run, Rock. Even if he does, it will only be to mobilize his forces so when he endorses the Republican that can win, the Republican WILL win. Paul understands full-well that trying to work outside the framework of the Republican Party is utter folly, at least for the foreseeable future. Ross Perot (who clearly was insane) didn't get that, and I don't think he cared. I believe he ran on ego.

I am frankly more worried about the Tea Party missing this dynamic than Ron Paul and his foot soldiers. What you suggest is a really, really important factor that ALL conservatives had better get to avoid the very outcome you predict if they don't. At the same time, the GOP and whoever emerges as the favored candidate to kick Bam Bam out of office had better understand that Ron Paul's endorsement is very, very important. If you recall, Paul refused to endorse any Republican candidate the last go around and that was very damaging to the already damaged goods named John McCain.
    I wish we had a hundred Ron Paul's in congress, my main fear is a split conservative vote when it comes time for the presidential election.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I wish we had a hundred Ron Paul's in congress, my main fear is a split conservative vote when it comes time for the presidential election.

And it is a very legitimate concern, my friend. Again, I don't think it is going to come from Paul & Co. since their movement was very arguably the catalyst for the Tea Party movement of today. I think the two are far more the same than different and there is a great deal of crossover.

I think it will be a unified front than bitch slaps Obama out of the Oval Office in 2012, but I worry a little about the November elections and whether the Tea Party chapters nationwide understand and share your extremely important point. Take Reid's race for example. Last I read the Tea Party candidate was running under that banner rather than the GOP's. There was even speculation that it was a Reid orchestrated plant. I have not had time to catch up on what is going on out there, but I will check tonight.

At the end of the day, you are as right as rain, Rock. If we are going to capsize this government like the island of Haiti, we all need to be pulling in the same direction--and hard.

Sonnabend
    I have asked numerous times here, what exactly is it that Mr. Paul puts forth in his arguments that makes him in any way daft?
    1. He is in bed with Troofers...he caters to the lunatic fringe
    2. He's an anti semite
    3. He is associated with, and took campaign money from, Stormfront.

Anyone who keeps company with these two groups is either not sane or a fucking moron.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I'm with djones520 on his forigen policy stances. Thats the biggest thing that turn him off to voters in '08. once he said that the Wars were illegal, he got thrown in with the moonbats on the left that were saying the same thing.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmEOv_rT8LQ

Please tell me why what this man says sounds so crazy to some conservatives. Liberals thinking he is off his rocker is completely understandable given that he is the antithesis of everything their agenda stands for. But conservatives?

I hear many (although fewer these days) self-professing conservatives labeling Mr. Paul some epithet representing insanity; including some here. Well, if Paul is indeed one beer short of a six-pack, then so was Jefferson, so was Adams, and all the others who drafted and/or signed the Constitution of the United States of America.

Thanks.

Ron Paul is Dead on right on most matters regarding domestic policy. On foreign policy, however, his policies would mean the end of western civilization. Not much better than a DUmmie in that area.