Hybrid View

1. #1 My friend's kid is being gay-bashed. 
    Smarmie Doofus (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 07:56 AM
    Original message
    My friend's kid is being gay-bashed.
    Advertisements [?]
    Edited on Sat Apr-17-10 07:59 AM by Smarmie Doofus
    He's in the third grade. ( That's Grade 3).

After-school tears are involved. Questions from kid. Parental consternation. Uncertainty about what, if anything, to do .

Not that it should make a difference, BUT.... he's probably NOT gay. He's smart; smallish; kinda... I don't know... "spontaneous". Effusive.

Part of the bashing involves other kids shoving him so that he crashes into a third party; then they yell "homo".

( Friend tells me all this right after I get off the treadmill at the gym where I'm watching a video-follies type show on Comedy Central wherein the host is making "That's so gay" comments ... without any apparent irony.... so numerous that I found myself semi-consciously trying to count them.)

OK; "You can't blame this one on the media, Ellen." Well... yes and no, I'm thinking.

So: what to do. Insights? Ideas?

That's *THIRD* fucking grade.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=8165313

so how old is this kid...10-12 years old? I really don't think it is gay bashing.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

A not so proud moment of my childhood, in 4th grade, I was part of a group that drove a kid to changing classes because of something just like this. Apparently he went home every day pretty much devestated. He didn't do anything to earn it, we were frankly just being bullies.

It does happen. Whether or not the proper term is gay bashing, we 9-10 year old kids sent a kid that age into a depression that involved him being moved because we accused him of being gay non-stop. :(
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

If Gays 'culture' was not so in-your-face and over the top it would not be on the radar of 3rd graders. HELLO!?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    A not so proud moment of my childhood, in 4th grade, I was part of a group that drove a kid to changing classes because of something just like this. Apparently he went home every day pretty much devestated. He didn't do anything to earn it, we were frankly just being bullies.

It does happen. Whether or not the proper term is gay bashing, we 9-10 year old kids sent a kid that age into a depression that involved him being moved because we accused him of being gay non-stop. :(
    Seek him out and apologize. You'd be surprised how much good a simple apology can do.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Seek him out and apologize. You'd be surprised how much good a simple apology can do.
    Don't remember his name, and both of us were military children. Who knows were he's moved to in the last 15 years. It's not weighing that much on my soul.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Don't remember his name, and both of us were military children. Who knows were he's moved to in the last 15 years. It's not weighing that much on my soul.
    maybe not on yours - but most likely on his.

If you bash a kid as gay and he's not gay does he really make a sound that the ACLU can hear?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis