Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New York City to charge rent to homeless shelter residents with jobs 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I don't see anything that wrong with this policy...

BUT, since this thread is about the homeless...guess who makes her presence known???

Amerigo Vespucci (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 10:42 AM
    Original message New York City to charge rent to homeless shelter residents with jobs

Nothing's free in New York - not even a stint in a city shelter.

Homeless people with jobs are going to have to start paying the city rent to stay in shelters, officials said Tuesday.

"Open-ended handouts, we know, don't work," Deputy Mayor Linda Gibbs said. "This is not a moneymaker. We're not doing this to close budget gaps. It's really the principles ... involved."

A 1997 state law requires New York to charge rent to the homeless who can afford it. The city never did, but has been pressed to do it since a state audit last year.

Shelter residents would have to pay as much as 44% of their income in their first year in the program.

Critics say the plan penalizes people who are struggling.

"It makes far more sense to allow those families to save their meager funds in order to be able to get out of the shelter system sooner," said Steven Banks, chief attorney of the Legal Aid Society, which may sue to block the plan.

"This is an extreme policy that has no discernible benefit, that will end up hurting the families and costing the taxpayers money," Banks said. "If necessary, we'll certainly go to court."
    Yeah, you guessed it, bobbolink!!! And as usual with this retard, it you don't bow down to her, she attacks as shown below!!!

bobbolink (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 11:52 AM
    Response to Original message

8. Fight this one hard, Legal Aid! I won't even bother pointing out all the illogical crap.People don't pay attention to it, anyway.

One more step toward forced labor. People will rail about mines and company towns, and the damage done to workers that way, but just watch... "progressives" will not raise one peep about this.
    okieinpain (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 12:01 PM
    Response to Original message

9. they should just legalize drugs, all of them.
    that way they gettaxes off of the sales, and they can stop paying to house non-violent drug users and dealers.
    Rut Roh!! You're in trouble!! Did you not know bobbolink is homeless???

bobbolink (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 12:06 PM
    Response to Reply #9

10. For gawd's sake! What the hell does it take for "progressives" to GET that homeless people are NOT druggies, drunks and crazies?
    (Really you dumb bitch??? How friggen stupid are you?? Have you ever seen the homeless in NYC??? I have.)

Turn off the Faux and start paying attention!
    NEXT!!!

dionysus (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 02:40 PM
    Response to Reply #10

46. uh, mentalk illness and addiction are 2 of the main causes of homelessness
    Oh NO!!!!!!

bobbolink (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 03:00 PM
    Response to Reply #46
    49. uh, you are Wrong. Read the actual information, rather than Faux. Uh....
    It gets better!!!

dionysus (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 03:37 PM
    Response to Reply #49

53. you don't know what the hell you're talking about.Edited on Wed Apr-14-10 03:39 PM by dionysus
    The major reasons and causes for homelessness as documented by many reports and studies include: <45><46><47><48><49>

Inavailability of employment opportunities.
    Poverty, caused by many factors including unemployment and underemployment.
    Lack of affordable healthcare.
    War or armed conflict.
    Mental disorder, where mental health services are unavailable or difficult to access.
    Substance abuse

(more)
    bobbolink (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 03:46 PM
    Response to Reply #53

57. When you can't discuss the facts,, you resort to attacks. Geee, where do you get that? Edited on Wed Apr-14-10 03:50 PM by bobbolink
    Try going to a REAL source... instead of FAUX.

Try loooking it up with the National Coalition for the Homeless.

You must think that drunkenness and "mental illness" don't exist in mansions.
    dionysus (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 03:53 PM
    Response to Reply #57

61. you're projecting a lot of stuff, and lying to boot. wtf is your problem?Edited on Wed Apr-14-10 03:55 PM by dionysus

In 2004 the United States Conference of Mayors, a nonpartisan organization of cities with populations higher than 30,000, surveyed the mayors of major cities on the extent and causes of urban homelessness, and most of the mayors named the lack of affordable housing as a cause of homelessness. (See Table 1.1.) The next three causes identified by mayors, in rank order, were mental illness or the lack of needed services (twenty-one of twenty-seven), substance abuse and lack of needed services (twenty), and low-paying jobs (sixteen). The lowest ranking cause, cited by five mayors, was prisoner reentry (release from incarceration). Other causes cited were unemployment (thirteen of twenty-seven), domestic violence (twelve), and poverty (seven).

Read more: The Nature of Homelessness - Causes Of Homelessness http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/2280/Nature-Homelessn...
    bobbolink (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-14-10 04:14 PM
    Response to Reply #61

68. Your insults may work with other people you deal with, but not with me. YOU be homeless and deal with these kinds of insults, and then get back to me.

It goes on and others get attacked by the homeless bobbolink!!!

Threads like this one are why she is one of my favorite DUmmies!!

And I'm still not 100% sure this isn't a very clever mole.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Bobbolink is homeless? Who knew?

:D
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

There are some excellent put-downs of poor ol' Bobbolink. :D

superduperfarleft (1000+ posts)
    Wed Apr-14-10 04:26 PM
    Response to Reply #70
    76. I'm just enjoying how you go batshit insane on every single one of these threads.

If I didn't enjoy it, I'd probably make a futile attempt to explain how your nasty behavior would put ANYONE off from helping you, and that would be a waste of both of our time.
    superduperfarleft (1000+ posts)
    Wed Apr-14-10 04:01 PM
    Response to Reply #50
    64. More public libraries with internet access.

That way the homeless will be able to post on messageboards more.
    progressiveinaction (1 posts)
    Wed Apr-14-10 07:29 PM
    Response to Reply #30
    95. Bobbolink

How long have you been homeless?

That last one is classic!!! :D

This babalooi person is laughable. They say they're homeless yet they have internet access(libraries, I know) yet all they do is spend time at the DUmp. Gee, is this that thing called self parody I keep hearing about?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This babalooi person is laughable. They say they're homeless yet they have internet access(libraries, I know) yet all they do is spend time at the DUmp. Gee, is this that thing called self parody I keep hearing about?
    Well she's been caught posting at hours no Library is open and there have been a few DU meetups in her town and she's never attended.:D

Banned
    I was one of those statistics once. I was homeless when I was released from prison. I went from homeless to owning my own business in two years.

I actually agree that homeless people should be allowed to accumulate enough money to get out of the shelter. It's a question of taking their money now--money that won't make much of a dent in the tax money spent--or letting them save enough to get 1st month/last month plus security and cost taxpayers nothing once they leave.

So let's see, bobbolink is homeless, yet she has been hovering around that one topic from 11:52 AM to 6:12 PM, all on the same day. If I had no home and I was starving to death, I could find a lot better things to do than post on message boards complaining about other people for 6 hours.

Minimum wage is $7.25/hr. That's $43.50 (minus tax) you just lost by hanging around DU.

Quote Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
    So let's see, bobbolink is homeless, yet she has been hovering around that one topic from 11:52 AM to 6:12 PM, all on the same day. If I had no home and I was starving to death, I could find a lot better things to do than post on message boards complaining about other people for 6 hours.

Minimum wage is $7.25/hr. That's $43.50 (minus tax) you just lost by hanging around DU.
    I think Bobbolink claims that she is posting from an I-Phone. Which isn't cheap for internet access for a homeless person.