Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Poll question: Have you Blocked FOX NEWS on your television? 
    link

AnArmyVeteran Donating Member (576 posts) Sat Apr-17-10 04:31 PM
    Original message
    Poll question: Have you Blocked FOX NEWS on your television? Updated at 3:59 PM

Edited on Sat Apr-17-10 04:34 PM by AnArmyVeteran
    I have a satellite company and I'm being fed 200 channels. I used my DVR's filter to block Fox News from even being seen. I don't even want to scan through the programming guide and see the names Beck, Hannity, OReilly or Fox anywhere on my television. And I don't want to accidently tune into one of their programs because it would add to their viewership numbers and therefore enable them to make more money.

Has anyone else blocked Fox News?

Side story: Any time I go to a restaurant or store and Fox News is on I ask them politely to change the channel. Or I leave a note on the receipt saying I will never return to their store/restaurant if they continue to leave their televisions on Fox. I've been doing this for at least five years. The last time I went to a store where Fox was on I complained and the next day their televisions were on a sports channel instead. I think it's a good idea for all of us to protest and to stop Fox from polluting the public discourse with their distorted and dishonest programming.

Poll result (81 votes)
    Yes, I proudly blocked Fox News from entering my home... (30 votes, 37%)
    No... (51 votes, 63%)
    37% of DUers either can't handle seeing something they don't agree with or are scared they won't be able to maintain their self imposed protest and will turn to watch lFOX.

Hilarity ensures.
    demtenjeep Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 04:32 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. no, I have sense to use the remote. Additionally

I occasionally like to watch the dumbasses in action. Kind of a train wreck mentality I guess
    xultar Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 05:16 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    30. -1 I find your "I have sense to use the remote." statement to be total BULLSHIT and INSULTING

What makes it bullshit? Well People who think they are superior to others often make statement such as this to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Blocking Faux is more of a statement than anything else.

What makes it insulting is that while telling others who block it they are idiots because they can't use the remote you admit to occasionally watching their bullshit. From my perspective someone who would watch their bullshit shouldn't tell anyone whether they have sense or not.

I personally think that everyone who uses that, "I have sense to or not to" really lacks the sense to know they look like idiots when suing the statement.
    Tunkamerica Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 05:26 PM
    Response to Reply #30
    35. -1 I find your characterization of the previous poster's ability to

use a remote and watch differing opinions without losing his grip on reality as "bullshit"... and "insulting"
    as a totally overblown reaction to an innocuous statement of fact. Whereas flying off the handle and cursing and calling people "idiots" for stating opinions is obviously more judgemental than the statement you're judging.
    BlooInBloo Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 05:32 PM
    Response to Reply #30
    38. Confirming I know how to use my remote too.
    hughee99 (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 06:29 PM
    Response to Reply #30
    45. So those who don't block Fox on their own TV make the statement
    that they didn't block it because this makes them feel better about themselves... and people who do block it make that statement because it makes them feel better about themselves. What's the difference? From my perspective, someone who has to block a channel on their own TV to avoid watching, and then brags about doing it, probably shouldn't be telling someone else whether they have sense or not. Personally, I find the whole "I'm going stop doing something I don't like to do anyway, in protest" a little silly to begin with.
    The Gunslinger (1000+ posts) Sat Apr-17-10 06:41 PM
    Response to Original message
    46. No, but it has never been on for 1 second,
    They also don't trust themselves to see something they don't agree with. And I thought they said that they were the curious, intellectual, diverse, accepting ones?

What weak feeble egoes they must have.

God forbide if they see something that doesn't match up with the drama playing their heads
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

This is why I try to resist clicking on these DU monitoring threads; I just get even more pissed off. Do these jackasses over there not watch MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC... and see the utter hypocrisy of this coprophagist?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

It's a trap!!!!

Wrong answer gets the member banned. We've seen this before.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    This is why I try to resist clicking on these DU monitoring threads; I just get even more pissed off. Do these jackasses over there not watch MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC... and see the utter hypocrisy of this coprophagist?
    Read some more of these threads and you'll get your answer.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I watch a bit of most of the news channels, including Fox, CNN and MSNBC.

I also read a diverse sample of political thought from National Review to The Nation.

I guess these zealots at DU never thought of that.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

**DU MODE**

OMG, OMG!!! I just heard that FOX NEWS believes the earth is round. What total idiots they are. I'm blocking them immediately and will allow only the flat earther stations like ABC,CBS,NBC aand MSNBC from now on.
    :eek:
    **DU MODE OFF**
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    **DU MODE**

OMG, OMG!!! I just heard that FOX NEWS believes the earth is round. What total idiots they are. I'm blocking them immediately and will allow only the flat earther stations like ABC,CBS,NBC aand MSNBC from now on.
    :eek:
    **DU MODE OFF**
    Ya see? There they go again defying common sense. I mean, go outside and look! Do you SEE a curve? No! Is it possible for people to be walking around on the other side of a round earth with their feet pointing upwards toward you? NO!! And yet they persist - and NO "fair and balanced" discussion! It's "The earth is round and if you don't believe that, then you must be stupid".

Next thing you know they'll be telling us that OMG is not a word. Jeez.

Calling liberals open minded is like calling Islam a religion of peace.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Blocking Faux is more of a statement than anything else.
    Who exactly are you making a statement to? How many hundreds of people are coming into your home that you're making a "statement" to?

As was said above, I never block anything. I'll flip on MSNBC or CNN occasionally, depending on the particular news that's going on. In all honesty, I don't really watch that much cable news period.

Learn how to use the remote, idiots!
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender