Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 If Reagan had been the nominee in '76 
    Banned
    Question for conservatives--
    Reagan as you know only narrowly lost the GOP nomination to Ford in the 1976 primaries. If Reagan had instead won the nomination, do you think he could've beaten Carter in '76...If so what do you think '77 to '81 would've been like without Carter and with Reagan 4 years earlier?
    Just a question seeing as a lot of you know a lot more about the Reagan presidency than I do.
    Also, if Ford had tapped Reagan to be his running mate in '76, do you think he could've won? I think if asked to be the VP he would've said yes, as in 1980 Reagan seriously considered making Ford his running mate.

I believe Patriot45 will be along shortly with a reply.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

I think the old fart is napping!

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Reagan as you know only narrowly lost the GOP nomination to Ford in the 1976 primaries. If Reagan had instead won the nomination, do you think he could've beaten Carter in '76...If so what do you think '77 to '81 would've been like without Carter and with Reagan 4 years earlier?
    Just a question seeing as a lot of you know a lot more about the Reagan presidency than I do.
    Also, if Ford had tapped Reagan to be his running mate in '76, do you think he could've won? I think if asked to be the VP he would've said yes, as in 1980 Reagan seriously considered making Ford his running mate.
    I find such questions to be on the same par with the popular YouTube videos of "Hitler finds out...". Such "what ifs" are an intellectual waste of time unless for pure amusement. The problem with historical "what ifs" is that to change even a small aspect of the past you have to consider all of the ramifications of that change; the ripple effect, if you will. For this reason, any answer to your question will likely be wrong.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Banned

C.I.T.M.1990 must be writing a book.

No.

In 1976, the country was revolted by Watergate, and the poorly handled Presidential pardon of Nixon. I supported the pardon, even though I was then, and remain, a liberal Democrat. I thought Ford should openly have admitted that Nixon had to be given comfort to leave office without a fight.

As for that election, Nixon's henchpeople were still on trial. "All the President's Men" was in the movie theatre, having come out in April 1976. While the economy was improving, no one trusted it. From what I remember, no Republican was going to win, nationwide, that year.
    If it's us or them, I choose us.
    ============================
    Freedom speaks English.
    ============================
    September 11; a moment of great moral clarity

Question: Did you think Reagan was a great president or do you think carter was a great president?
    I think carter would have been great if he had a backbone and wasn't a flaming liberal douche bag!
    But the past is gone and you libs do not learn from mistakes you just make bigger ones.

These years will never be looked back on as the good old years.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Uh oh! I'm getting predictable! :D

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    C.I.T.M.1990 must be writing a book.
    I think its his little experiment on a conservative board! She thinks this is getting "dirt" on us! :D
    Or she is just a inquisitive kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I think the old fart is napping!
    Your post woke me up! Thanks.