Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New Yorkers Brace for Doorman Strike 
    New Yorkers Brace for Doorman Strike

By A. G. SULZBERGER
    Published: April 18, 2010

It has been nearly two decades since New Yorkers faced their last doorman strike, but as the deadline for a new contract for building workers approached, the questions being posed throughout the city remained largely unchanged on Sunday.

Who will safeguard my apartment as I sleep? Greet my children when they come home from school? Accept deliveries? Clean the hallways? Sort the mail? Operate the elevator? And who, for goodness sake, will let the cleaning lady in?

Residents, co-op boards and building management companies have been busy planning for the sudden complications that could come at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday with the possible departure of the building workers who, among many other things, hold open the city’s doors.

The Realty Advisory Board on Labor Relations has distributed a preparedness manual with recommendations for keeping buildings in operation in case of a strike. “A strike is not pleasant, nor should it be taken lightly,” according to the 45-page document. “During a period of work stoppage, pressures and problems develop which make building management very difficult.”

Throughout the city, security guards have already been alerted to arrive at buildings an hour before the negotiating deadline so they can take over for the first overnight shift in the event of a walkout. Many buildings would then adopt a more restrictive policy, with residents being required to use building keys, display identification to the security guards and pick up visitors or deliveries themselves. Some buildings are planning to take service elevators, storage rooms and garages out of operation if there is a strike.

“The whole operation of the building would basically be shut down and we’d rely on residents to pitch in just to get by,” said Dan Wurtzel, president of Cooper Square Realty, one of the largest residential management companies in the New York. “There’s a tremendous amount of preparation we have to undertake. Then, if it doesn’t happen, we can breathe a sign of relief. If it does happen, then we’re prepared to deal with it.”
    Good Lord! Who will greet the children? :eek:

NYT

A doorman strike? Really? This is the lowest skilled job on the face of the earth. What do these guys expect to be paid?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Poor Wilbur! He'll go broke.:(

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I've never lived in NYC, and can't imagine the "doorman" phenomenon. I've lived in apartment buildings, and I sure as hell never had and didn't need a doorman.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

If this happens we will have an upsurge in trolls!:eek:

Power CUer
    This is going to affect Christmas tips in a big way.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Unless no one is allowed to enter or leave an apartment building for the duration of the strike, I can't see this having a massive impact on life.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Unless no one is allowed to enter or leave an apartment building for the duration of the strike, I can't see this having a massive impact on life.
    How difficult is it to use a key and enter the door yourself?

Of course there are also states in the U.S. that don't allow you to pump your own gas, New Jersey being one, can't recall the other. That baffles me as well.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

When I was in NYC, I tipped the doorman at the hotel, because he called cabs for me when I needed them.

I draw the line at tipping bathroom attendants. As I loudly and drunkenly declared at the Hard Rock Cafe in NY, I won't tip her unless she wipes my butt for me.

WHY has this not been moved to the It's the end of Teh World I tell ya!! forum?!

CLEARLY it's a sign of the apocalypse