Thread: Joining the Military

Hybrid View

1. #1 Joining the Military 
    I'm going next week to talk to the United States Air Force recruiter. I'm positive about signing the dotted line. I've already taken the ASVAB and scored an 81 in the percentile range which from what I've gathered makes me eligble for every job offered to women in the AF. Any other AF folks here? Can you tell me about your experience serving in the AF? Any advice?

Thanks
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

I'm coming up on my 24th year in the USAF. Half of that active duty, and half as a reservist. It's been great for me and I still love serving. If you do make the move, I wish you the best.

Banned
    Way to go! If I may ask, how old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Way to go! If I may ask, how old are you?
    18 yrs young.

The only problem I may have is the weight minimum. Winter I spend jogging and am down to 120 lbs. I'm trying to at least make it up to 130 before shipping off to basic so I can hack it, although basic looks like a load of fun for me. I dig a challenge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    18 yrs young.

The only problem I may have is the weight minimum. Winter I spend jogging and am down to 120 lbs. I'm trying to at least make it up to 130 before shipping off to basic so I can hack it, although basic looks like a load of fun for me. I dig a challenge.
    Since your ASVAB Scores are way up there and you are quite physically fit maybe you should get into their sniper program. I thing the Air Force is the only service arm that trains women in this field. I remember reading about one young woman putting a round up a Taliban's ass when he had his face on the ground and butt in the air in prayer.

18 yrs young.

I'm surprised to read that you are only 18. I thought you were older than that from the
    maturity in your posts. Best of luck to you, and I hope you will enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Since your ASVAB Scores are way up there and you are quite physically fit maybe you should get into their sniper program. I thing the Air Force is the only service arm that trains women in this field. I remember reading about one young woman putting a round up a Taliban's ass when he had his face on the ground and butt in the air in prayer.
    That's a kind of myth. Women can't be in combat MOSes. I've got no problem with it either. I know they're recommending some women and even accepting them into the sniper academy but one can't "apply" for it if female. They have to show superior marksmanship, which would be easy for me, but you also have to have the full recommendations of your commanding officer(s).

I'm looking into ballistics, playing with bombs, and the SERE program (amazingly not closed to women).
    Thank you all for well wishes. The recruiter on the phone said it'd be 6-9 months before deployment to basic.

BSR
    I'm going next week to talk to the United States Air Force recruiter. I'm positive about signing the dotted line. I've already taken the ASVAB and scored an 81 in the percentile range which from what I've gathered makes me eligble for every job offered to women in the AF. Any other AF folks here? Can you tell me about your experience serving in the AF? Any advice?

Thanks

I thought you wanted to join the military? The Air Farce is a 9-5 desk job.

Booyah !!! Let the military branch wars begin !!!